Notre Dame handles IUPU-Fort WayneDec 18, 2012 - 3:45 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Pat Connaughton tallied 18 points, six rebounds and five assists as No. 22 Notre Dame defeated Indiana University- Purdue University Fort Wayne, 74-62, on Monday.
Jack Cooley totaled 14 points and eight boards and Scott Martin followed with 13 points and seven rebounds for the Fighting Irish (10-1), who captured their eighth straight victory.
"You know that team (IPFW) really defends" said Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, whose team overcame 13 turnovers. "They're athletic, they bothered us especially in the first half."
Luis Jacobo and Joe Edwards each poured in 11 points for the Mastodons (5-7), who dropped their third straight game to fall to 1-6 on the road this season.
"I give Notre Dame a lot of credit, they played well," said IPFW coach Tony Jasick. "In the second half down the stretch, I felt like we were making a little bit of a run, and I felt like they made a number of shots at the end of the shot clock when we were playing pretty good defense."
Demario Hines, who chipped in with 10 points off the bench, scored on a layup to pull IPFW within two at 13-11 early in the contest, however Garrick Sherman's bucket for the Irish capped an 8-0 spurt to give them a 10-point lead just past the halfway point in the opening period.
Notre Dame built a lead as many as 14 in the first half following a Martin triple and carried a 40-28 advantage into halftime.
Jacobo nailed a 3-pointer early in the second stanza to bring the Mastodons within 44-33, but Notre Dame responded with an 11-3 run to take a 19-point lead with 13:37 to go.
Edwards knocked down a three with just over three minutes left in the contest to cut IPFW's deficit to 12, but they never came any closer.
The Irish have won 14 straight at home and improved to 43-1 in their last 44 contests as the host ... IPFW is 0-4 all-time against Notre Dame.
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 62
NOTRE DAME: 74
Dec 17 8:41 PM
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 28
NOTRE DAME: 40
Dec 17 7:45 PM
- IUPU-FT WAYNE: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 17 7:02 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17