Cooley, No. 22 Notre Dame cruise past NiagaraDec 22, 2012 - 7:53 AM South Bend, IN (Sports Network) - Jack Cooley poured in a game-high 24 points to go with 15 rebounds as No. 22 Notre Dame cruised past Niagara, 89-67, on Friday.
"He's very underrated as an athlete. He's quick off his feet. His reach is long. Certainly he has great strength. And he has great hands. Just super hands. When he gets near it, it's usually his," Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey said of Cooley.
Cameron Biedscheid had 15 points, while Jerian Grant and Eric Atkins added 13 and 12, respectively, for the Fighting Irish (12-1), who improved to 10-0 at home this season.
"They have good balance. They have perimeter guys, they have the big guy. I'll tell you what, they're going to be a tough out," Niagara head coach Joe Mihalich said of Notre Dame.
Antoine Mason dropped in 17 points and Marvin Jordan and Juan'ya Green scored 11 apiece for the Purple Eagles (5-7).
Jordan's 3-pointer with just over seven minutes gone put Niagra up 16-15, but a 19-8 run put Notre Dame on top, 34-24, with five minutes to go in the first half. The teams traded blows the rest of the way and the Irish went into the break with a 42-34 lead.
Garrick Sherman's layup at the 14:20 mark sparked a 24-11 push to put Notre Dame up 75-52 with just over seven minutes showing, and Niagara couldn't get closer than 20 the rest of the way.
The Irish finished the game a blistering 62 percent (31-for-50) from the field while holding the Purple Eagles to just 36.8 percent (25-for-68) shooting.
Notre Dame went 18-for-24 from the field in the second half and shot 50 percent (8-for-16) from behind the arc ... The Irish will open Big East conference play on Jan. 5 when they play host to Seton Hall .... Niagra is out of action until Jan. 3 when it hosts Marist.
- NIAGARA: 67
NOTRE DAME: 89
Dec 21 8:49 PM
- NIAGARA: 34
NOTRE DAME: 42
Dec 21 7:47 PM
- NIAGARA: 0
NOTRE DAME: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 21 7:03 PM
- Beachem says he'll be back at Notre Dame for senior season May 1
- Notre Dame's Beachem enters NBA draft, won't hire an agent Apr 12
- Jackson: Meeting with Brey, NCAA play led him to opt for NBA Mar 30
- Notre Dame's Jackson decides to enter NBA draft Mar 29
- Brey: Notre Dame's Jackson has to explore entering NBA draft Mar 28
- Notre Dame can't find one last run to beat North Carolina Mar 28
- North Carolina and Notre Dame know each other well Mar 26
- Wisconsin's road to 3rd straight Final 4 runs through Irish Mar 25
- Notre Dame finally finding March success under Brey Mar 23
- ND's Auguste at best in March, shooting 86 percent in NCAAs Mar 22
- Doing it all: Versatile Walkup, Stephen F. Austin face Irish Mar 19
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17