No. 8 Syracuse downs Wagner in home openerNov 18, 2012 - 10:54 PM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Brandon Triche scored 21 points to power eighth-ranked Syracuse to an 88-57 victory over Wagner in the Orange's home opener at the Carrier Dome.
James Southerland and Baye Moussa Keita each chipped in 15 points for the Orange (2-0), who played for the first time since last Sunday's 62-49 win over San Diego State aboard the USS Midway.
Jonathon Williams scored 14 to lead Wagner (0-2), while Kenneth Ortiz added 11. The Seahawks dropped their opener on Wednesday in overtime against Delaware State.
Syracuse opened a 9-3 lead early, but Wagner responded with a 10-2 burst and grabbed a 13-11 edge on a three by Latif Rivers just seven minutes into the contest.
Triche tied it with a layup a minute later and Syracuse built an 18-13 margin before Wagner again answered and went in front with six straight points. Marcus Burton's free throw gave the Seahawks a 19-18 lead at the 10-minute mark.
The Orange then closed the half with an 18-4 run. A Jerami Grant layup put Syracuse on top for good and Triche scored six during the spurt, including a pair of free throws with just over a minute to play that sent the Orange to the break with a 36-23 cushion.
C.J. Fair opened the second half with a three for the Orange and the Seahawks failed to threaten the rest of the way. The lead reached 25 on a Keita layup near the 12-minute mark and Wagner got only as close as 19 from there.
Syracuse led by as many as 34 in the closing minutes.
"I think they played us tough the first half," said Triche. "We are a good team at adjusting and we adjust pretty quickly, in our zone as well as offensively. We were able to adjust. We were able to go on a few runs."
Triche also grabbed seven rebounds for Syracuse, which held a 49-36 edge on the boards ... Keita was 6-for-6 from the field, as the Orange shot 50 percent from the floor and held Wagner to 32.8 percent ... Syracuse has won all three meetings with Wagner ... The Orange next play Wednesday at home against Princeton.
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25