Southerland, Syracuse roll over PrincetonNov 22, 2012 - 4:51 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - James Southerland hit four 3-pointers and finished with 22 points as sixth-ranked Syracuse posted a 73-53 victory over Princeton at the Carrier Dome.
Southerland, one of five Orange players in double figures, added five steals and four rebounds.
C.J. Fair scored 12 points for Syracuse (3-0), while Brandon Triche, Michael Carter-Williams and Rakeem Christmas each had 10 in the Orange's 24th consecutive home win.
Carter-Williams also compiled nine assists, six boards and four steals.
"I think at this time of the year, you need to get better every game," said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. "I think we shot the ball pretty well overall. We didn't turn it over. We made a few mistakes, but that's part of early season basketball."
Clay Wilson paced the Tigers (1-3) with 15 points. Brendan Connolly and Ian Hummer supplied 11 and 10 points, respectively.
The Orange scored the game's first six points and opened up their first double-digit lead, 20-8, at the midway point of the first half on a Southerland 3-pointer.
Southerland later stretched the lead to 35-19 with another trey, and Syracuse settled for an 11-point advantage (36-25) at the break.
The Orange put together an 8-0 run after Princeton had cut its deficit to six in the second half. Fair capped the spurt with a layup to make it 53-39 with 11:05 remaining.
Carter-Williams followed a Fair dunk with one of his own to put the home team up 65-50 in the late stages.
Syracuse has won six straight to up its record in the series to 25-9 ... Princeton faced its second consecutive Big East opponent after losing to Rutgers last Friday ...The Tigers have lost 26 straight games to top-10 teams since beating No. 2 Notre Dame in 1977.
- PRINCETON: 53
Nov 21 8:51 PM
- PRINCETON: 25
Nov 21 7:47 PM
- PRINCETON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 7:08 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25