Syracuse crushes Colgate againNov 26, 2012 - 4:12 AM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Syracuse faced its most familiar opponent on Sunday and came away with its customary lopsided win.
James Southerland poured in 18 points to lead the sixth-ranked Orange in an 87-51 rout of Colgate at the Carrier Dome.
Brandon Triche added 15 points and Michael Carter-Williams dished out a career-high 13 assists for Syracuse (4-0), which faced Colgate for the 165th time and posted its 47th straight win over its nearby Central New York rival.
"Michael's doing a great job of finding open guys," said Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim about Carter-Williams. "He's really playing as well as any point guard we've had in a long time, in terms of getting the ball to people and making plays for other people."
The Orange also extended their home winning streak to 25 straight games, the longest in the history of the Carrier Dome, which opened in 1980. Syracuse hasn't lost at home since a 64-56 setback to Georgetown on Feb. 9, 2011.
Murphy Burnatowski, John Brandenburg and Pat Moore each scored eight points to lead Colgate (3-4), which had a two-game win streak stopped. The Raiders haven't beaten Syracuse since 1962 and haven't lost by single-digits since a 73-65 decision in November 2000.
Colgate opened a 6-2 lead early, but Syracuse answered with an 18-5 run. Triche sank a three with just over 12 1/2 minutes remaining in the first half to give the Orange a 20-11 advantage.
The Raiders responded with five straight to pull within four before the Orange rattled off 15 of the next 19. Southerland hit back-to-back threes to fuel the spurt, which ended with a layup from DaJuan Coleman for a 35-20 cushion.
Syracuse went into the break with a 38-24 margin behind 16 points from Southerland, then scored the first six of the second half for a 20-point bulge and cruised the rest of the way. The Orange led by as many as 40.
"James gets shots and he makes them," added Boeheim. "He could have had 30 at the half. He's playing well, his defense is good, he's rebounding and he's just playing well."
Coleman scored 12 points and Rakeem Christmas added 10 with nine rebounds for the Orange ... Carter-Williams' 13 assists were the most for the Orange since Jason Hart had 14 in 2000. He also had eight points and six rebounds ... Syracuse's longest previous Dome winning streak of 24 games was set during the 1993-94 and 1994-95 seasons ... Syracuse's longest home winning streak is 57 games, set from the 1975-76 season through 1979-80 at Manley Field House ... Syracuse is 120-45 all-time against Colgate in a series that began in the 1901-02 season.
- COLGATE: 51
Nov 25 2:51 PM
- COLGATE: 24
Nov 25 1:49 PM
- COLGATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 25 1:08 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26
- Gonzaga taking on Syracuse's vaunted zone in Sweet 16 Mar 25