Boeheim matches Knight as Syracuse rollsDec 31, 2012 - 10:51 PM Syracuse, NY (Sports Network) - Jim Boeheim reached another milestone before the new year.
Boeheim tied Bob Knight for second all-time in wins among Division I coaches with his 902nd Monday as his seventh-ranked Syracuse Orange routed Central Connecticut State, 96-62, at the Carrier Dome.
Michael Carter-Williams scored a career-high 18 points, dished out 13 assists and grabbed nine rebounds for the Orange (12-1), who extended the nation's longest home winning streak to 32 games.
C.J. Fair, Brandon Triche and DaJuan Coleman supplied 13 points apiece for Syracuse, with Fair adding 10 boards.
"I thought it was a much better offensive game for us," Boeheim said. "Our defense was pretty solid. You get through the non-conference season and you get to this position where we're looking forward to starting the Big East with Rutgers (on Wednesday)."
Matt Hunter ended with 18 points, 13 rebounds and six steals for the Blue Devils (4-7), who have dropped four in a row.
Kyle Vinales had 14 points and his trey put Central Connecticut State up 21-18 with nine minutes to go in the first half. The visitors struggled mightily shooting the rest of the frame and were down 21 at halftime.
Syracuse went on a 10-0 run and led 28-21 on a Jerami Grant layup. The Orange then put together a 15-0 surge that featured a trio of 3-pointers by Fair, Carter-Williams and Trevor Cooney.
A Carter-Williams layup made it 47-26 at the break.
The Blue Devils never threatened in the second half.
James Southerland had 11 points for Syracuse, which held a 57-32 rebounding edge ... Terrell Allen and Adonis Burbage each had 13 points for the Blue Devils ... Central Connecticut State shot 31.8 percent and made 9-of-35 3- pointers.
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 62
Dec 31 4:44 PM
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 26
Dec 31 3:43 PM
- CENTRAL CONNECTICUT STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 31 3:03 PM
- Syracuse's Malachi Richardson all-in for NBA draft May 17
- Syracuse frosh Malachi Richardson to enter name in NBA draft Apr 18
- Syracuse reserve center Chinonso Obokoh transferring Apr 7
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Syracuse guard Kaleb Joseph transferring Apr 5
- Syracuse's Boeheim scoffs at idea that it was rough season Apr 3
- Correction: Final Four-Syracuse story Apr 3
- UNC, Syracuse vastly different but familiar Final Four foes Apr 2
- Double-digit not Cinderella for Syracuse; UNC last No. 1 Mar 31
- Syracuse rides improbable run to Final Four Mar 28
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Judge tosses suit by ex-Syracuse coach's wife against ESPN Mar 26