No. 18 UNLV hammers Northern ArizonaNov 13, 2012 - 7:04 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Bennett posted 22 points and seven rebounds to help No. 18 UNLV take a 92-54 win over Northern Arizona as part of the Global Sports Classic.
Bryce Dejean-Jones had 15 points while Anthony Marshall and Katin Reinhardt each added 14 points for the Rebels (1-0), who won 26 games last year and lost in the second round of the NCAA Tournament to Colorado.
"This is a group that will play with a chip on its shoulders," UNLV coach Dave Rice said. "I was pleased with the improvement from our exhibition game."
DeWayne Russell had 16 points, Gabe Rogers gave 13 and Michael Dunn donated 11 for the Lumberjacks (0-2), who dropped their opener to Oregon on Saturday.
"We knew the worst thing in the world for us was the way the Dixie State game went for them," Northern Arizona coach Jack Murphy said. "I knew they would come out and put a wall on us and that's what they did."
UNLV led the game from start to finish as the team scored the first eight points of the game and held an 11-point lead on a Dejean-Jones 3-pointer with under 12 minutes to play in the first half.
Northern Arizona cut it to six on a Dunn 3-pointer that made it 29-23 with just under five minutes to play, but didn't score the rest of the half as the Rebels posted 16 straight points for a 45-23 lead after 20 minutes.
A 3-pointer from Reinhardt followed by a Justin Hawkins layup saw UNLV make it a 27-point game and the Rebels continued to pull away.
UNLV hosts Jacksonville State on Saturday ... The Rebels shots 50 percent while Northern Arizona made just 25 percent ... UNLV pulled down 51 rebounds while the Lumberjacks had just 29.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27