No. 9 Arizona thumps Northern ArizonaNov 29, 2012 - 7:24 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons scored 18 points and Solomon Hill added 17, as No. 9 Arizona rolled past instate foe Northern Arizona, 93-50.
Nick Johnson chipped in 10 points, seven assists and four steals for the Wildcats (4-0), who shot 12-of-21 from 3-point range and 58 percent overall to win its 29th straight meeting with the Lumberjacks.
"Our second half was really good," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said. "Our effort level was good across the board. We helped, recovered and did the things we need to do defensively."
Dewayne Russell netted 13 points to pace Northern Arizona (2-4), which finally hosts its first home game on Saturday against Sam Houston St.
Arizona was ahead, 9-0, less than two minutes in following a Hill 3-pointer, and an 11-2 run at the midway point pushed the margin to 29-11.
Russell beat the halftime buzzer with a 3-pointer, but the Wildcats' strong shooting in the opening 20 minutes helped yield a 39-26 cushion.
A 14-2 flurry to open the second half essentially put the game out of reach. Lyons scored eight points and Hill netted six during the four-plus minutes of action, with Hill's 3-pointer making it a 53-28 game.
The closest the Lumberjacks got from there was 19.
The Lumberjacks' last win over the Wildcats came during the 1968-69 season ... Arizona scored 25 points off 15 turnovers ... Arizona plays its first road game Saturday at Texas Tech ... Northern Arizona shot 36 percent from the field.
- NORTHERN ARIZONA: 50
Nov 28 11:58 PM
- NORTHERN ARIZONA: 26
Nov 28 10:50 PM
- NORTHERN ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 28 10:09 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2
- Arizona's Tarczewski out at least a month with foot injury Dec 1