No. 12 Arizona tops Charleston SouthernNov 12, 2012 - 2:44 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons scored 17 points and dished out six assists to help the 12th-ranked Arizona Wildcats open the season with an 82-73 victory over Charleston Southern at McKale Center.
Solomon Hill supplied 14 points and five rebounds for Arizona (1-0), which got 12 points apiece from Nick Johnson and Brandon Ashley.
"Tonight, it was so much about defense. And we struggled against their offense," said Arizona coach Sean Miller.
Arlon Harper had a game-high 20 points for the Buccaneers (0-2), who opened their season with a 10-point loss at Charlotte on Friday.
Charleston Southern scored the game's first six points, and Paul Gombwer drained a 3-pointer to put the visitors up 15-7 a little more than five minutes after the opening tip.
The Wildcats continued to trail until a 10-0 run, capped by a Jordin Mayes trey, put them up 29-25 with about 4 1/2 minutes remaining. Down by three, Arizona closed out the half with the final seven points to head into the break with a 43-39 edge.
It remained a tight contest well into the second half, but consecutive threes by Hill and Lyons, a senior transfer from Xavier, made it 65-57 with 6 1/2 minutes left. Four minutes later, Lyons hit a layup to extend Arizona's lead to double figures at 77-66.
The outcome was never in doubt down the stretch.
Mayes scored 10 points and Ashley grabbed eight rebounds ...Mathiang Muo contributed 16 points for Charleston Southern. Saah Nimley added 11 points, eight boards and seven assists for the Buccaneers.
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 73
Nov 11 8:10 PM
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 39
Nov 11 6:58 PM
- CHARLESTON SOUTHERN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 11 6:08 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2
- Arizona's Tarczewski out at least a month with foot injury Dec 1