UNLV takes down UC IrvineNov 29, 2012 - 6:53 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Mike Moser and Anthony Bennett each poured in 19 points to lead 24th-ranked UNLV to an 85-57 win over UC Irvine on Wednesday.
Katin Reinhardt had 13 points and Justin Hawkins added eight for the Runnin' Rebels (4-1), who have won two straight since falling to Oregon on Nov. 23.
Daman Starring had 20 points and Adam Folker dropped in 12 for the Anteaters (3-5), losers in four straight.
UNLV scored the game's first six points, and led by as many as 10, but UC Irvine managed to pull within 25-22. A Carlos Lopez-Sosa 3-pointer ignited a 9-2 burst to help the Rebels take a 34-26 lead into the break.
UNLV then opened the second half on a 21-10 run to go up 55-36. The Rebels kept its foot on the gas, outscoring the Anteaters 30-21 the rest of the way.
UC Irvine was held to 34.5 percent shooting (19-for-55) and went 4-for-15 from 3-point range.
The Rebels forced 15 turnovers, while giving it away just seven times.
UNLV owns a 32-9 lead in the all-time series ... This was the first meeting between the programs since Dec. 23 1977.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27