Powell leads UCLA in rout of James MadisonNov 16, 2012 - 6:13 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Norman Powell posted 27 points and five assists as No. 13 UCLA had no problems in a 100-70 win over James Madison in regional play of the Legends Classic.
Jordan Adams scored 25 points for the Bruins (3-0), who were coming off a thrilling overtime win against UC Irvine on Tuesday.
Rayshawn Goins had 24 points and seven rebounds for the Dukes (0-1), who posted a 12-20 mark last season. A.J. Davis was the only other scorer on the team in double-digits with 16.
UCLA led this game from start to finish as Larry Drew II opened the scoring with a 3-pointer and Powell followed with a jumper.
An 8-0 run a few minutes later from the Bruins extended the lead to 18-5 and it was a 26-8 game on a Powell 3-ball with just under 11 minutes to play in the half.
UCLA closed the half with a 13-2 run to take a 63-29 advantage into the locker room.
The Bruins' lead dipped below 30 a couple of times in the second half, but they were never seriously threatened by the Dukes as they rolled to the victory.
UCLA plays at Georgetown on Monday ... James Madison plays at Duquesne on Monday ... This was the first matchup between these two schools.
- JAMES MADISON: 70
Nov 16 12:56 AM
- JAMES MADISON: 29
Nov 15 11:53 PM
- JAMES MADISON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 11:09 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- James Madison hires alum Louis Rowe as men's hoops coach Mar 31
- Matt Brady out at James Madison as men's basketball coach Mar 14
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- Madness! UCLA beats SMU on goaltending call Mar 19