Thomas helps Memphis take out MarshallFeb 17, 2013 - 6:04 AM Huntington, WV (Sports Network) - Adonis Thomas registered a career-high 23 points and 10 rebounds to lead No. 22 Memphis to a 71-59 win over Marshall on Saturday.
Thomas shot 9-of-17 from the field for the Tigers (22-3, 11-0 C-USA), who have not lost since Dec. 15 against Louisville. Joe Jackson and Geron Johnson scored 12 and 11 points, respectively.
"I shot the ball really well in warmups," Thomas said. "I always try to get to the game early, and my shot was falling and I felt good. I want to keep it up for the rest of the season."
Elijah Pittman and DeAndre Kane scored 16 points apiece for the Thundering Herd (11-15, 4-7), who have lost three of their past four games. Dennis Tinnon recorded 15 points and 13 rebounds.
Marshall started off strong, outscoring Memphis 10-3 in the first 3 1/2 minutes of the game. However, the Tigers went on a 11-3 run for a 14-13 lead as Thomas finished a three-point play to give Memphis an edge it would not let go for the remainder of the contest.
After a dunk by Pittman, Thomas nailed a pair of 3-pointers to start a 13-2 run.
By halftime, Memphis held a 43-26 margin.
"We had great energy in the beginning of the game," Marshall coach Tom Herrion said. "We just didn't get enough stops in the first half."
Marshall began the second half with five unanswered points to cut the deficit to 43-34. After a free throw by Memphis' Tarik Black and a layup by Chris Crawford, Pittman started and ended a 7-0 run to get the Thundering Herd within 46-41, with 10:47 left to play. Despite their best efforts, however, it was the closest the home team would get.
The Thundering Herd had both shooting and ball handling troubles for the rest of the game, shooting just 5-of-13 and recording six turnovers. Meanwhile, Memphis scored 25 points, including three treys.
Shaq Goodwin scored the final points of the game for Memphis with a thunderous dunk off a pass by Crawford to secure the victory.
Memphis outscored Marshall 19-6 in bench points ... Memphis is 12-2 all-time against Marshall ... The Tigers are 7-0 in road games this season.
- MEMPHIS: 71
Feb 16 10:07 PM
- MEMPHIS: 43
Feb 16 8:54 PM
- MEMPHIS: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 16 8:06 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Former UConn star Marshall to coach Central Connecticut Apr 6
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Marshall assistant coach Chris Duhon suspended after arrest Nov 30
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Report: Marshall staying at Wichita State with new deal Apr 2
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26