Lyons leads Arizona in easy win over UTEPNov 16, 2012 - 7:04 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons scored 17 points and No. 12 Arizona was never threatened in a comfortable 72-51 victory over Texas-El Paso at the McKale Center.
Solomon Hill added 10 points and six rebounds for the Wildcats (2-0), who shot 48.9 percent from the floor and made half of their three-point attempts (9- of-18).
"Everybody can contribute and that's what makes us special," Hill said. "Everybody on our team is a player, so any given night anybody can be good. Other guys are going to step up, and that's how we play as a team."
Julian Washburn and Chris Washburn both scored 11 points and Jacques Streeter added 10 for the Miners (1-1), who shot just 36.4 percent from the floor in defeat.
Arizona scored the game's first five points and took a 10-3 lead on Lyons' layup in transition. The margin reached double figures at 27-16 on Angelo Chol's slam with about 5 1/2 minutes to play in the half, and Hill's trey made the score 30-16 with just under five minutes to go.
Lyons' three-pointer with just over a minute to go gave the Wildcats' their halftime margin of 35-22.
UTEP got within 39-31 on Streeter's jumper nearly four minutes into the second half, but the margin grew to 50-33 on Chol's jumper with about 13 minutes to go.
The Miners again clawed back, refusing to quit, and drawing within 55-47 on a Washburn free throw with just over eight minutes to go. The Wildcats didn't let it get any closer, quickly asserting their force and growing the lead to 63-49 on Brandon Ashley's jumper with about 4 1/2 minutes left.
Arizona cruised to victory from there.
Arizona has two games left on its season-opening four-game homestand ... UTEP has lost 12 of its last 13 true road games dating back to last season ... Lyons has scored 17 points in each of the first two games.
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 51
Nov 16 12:01 AM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 22
Nov 15 10:50 PM
- TEXAS-EL PASO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 15 10:07 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2
- Arizona's Tarczewski out at least a month with foot injury Dec 1