Harvard wins Ivy LeagueMar 10, 2013 - 1:59 AM Cambridge, MA (Sports Network) - Laurent Rivard scored a game-high 17 points as the Harvard Crimson defeated the Cornell Big Red, 65-56, in Ivy League play at Lavietes Pavilion.
Siyani Chambers recorded 16 points and five assists for the Crimson (19-9, 11-3 Ivy League). Wesley Saunders contributed 14 points and four rebounds as With the win and a Princeton loss on Saturday Harvard clinched the Ivy League title and is going to the NCAA Tournament for a second-straight season.
For the Big Red (13-8, 5-9), Miles Asafo-Adjei scored a team-high 15 points. Errick Peck added 14 points and eight boards. Nolan Cressler had 12 points and nine rebounds as Cornell moved to a six-game losing streak.
In the first half, Cornell was held to a mere 2-of-10 from beyond the arc. Harvard made 12-of-21 from the floor including 4-of-8 from long-range, en route to the 32-24 advantage at the break.
In the second, Cornell was held to 1-of-7 on 3-point tries. Harvard knocked down 5-of-7 beyond the arc as in the final 20 minutes as it took the nine- point victory.
Both teams made 19 shots from the floor but the Crimson had the edge in points from long range (27-9).
- CORNELL: 56
Mar 9 7:33 PM
- CORNELL: 24
Mar 9 6:21 PM
- CORNELL: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 9 5:36 PM
- Brian Earl hired as Cornell men's basketball coach Apr 18
- Highly rated recruiting class could boost Harvard basketball Dec 19
- Stifling D lifts Cornell over Penn State-Harrisburg, 76-47 Nov 23
- Harvard, Stanford to face off in 2016 hoops opener in China Nov 13
- Jackson's dunk helps UNC top Harvard Mar 20
- Tar Heels take aim at Crimson in second round Mar 19
- Harvard edges Yale in thriller for Ivy League title Mar 15
- Virginia dominates Harvard Dec 21
- Harvard hits road to challenge No. 6 Virginia Dec 21
- Holy Cross shocks Harvard Nov 16
- Beantown brawl pits Crimson against Crusaders Nov 16
- Chambers, Saunders lead No. 25 Harvard past MIT Nov 15