Boynton's hot shooting helps Florida drop YaleJan 7, 2013 - 7:11 AM New Haven, CT (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton knocked down eight 3-pointers in matching a career-best 28 points, as the Florida Gators closed out a three- game road trip with a 79-58 decision over Yale.
Boynton connected on 8-of-10 from long distance for the Gators (10-2), who also received 14 points and nine rebounds from Will Yeguete. Florida shot an incredible 60 percent from the floor for the game in collecting its second straight win.
"I just think I played tonight -- and even the last game -- with a clear mind and not thinking about it," Boynton said of his early season shooting struggles. "I knew it was a matter of time."
Mike Rosario chipped in with 13 points, three rebounds and three steals in the victory.
Justin Sears tallied 15 points and four steals, while Javier Duren and Armani Cotton followed with 14 and 12 points, respectively, in the setback for Yale (5-11), which has not won back-to-back games all season. The Bulldogs were coming off a victory over Holy Cross on Friday.
"When a shooter sees the ball go in the hole, his eyes get bigger," Yale coach James Jones said of Boynton's big night.
Yale stayed close for most of the first half, but a late Gators run prevented the Bulldogs from making the contest competitive again.
After Michael Grace cut Yale's deficit to 21-20, Florida used a 14-3 surge over the final five minutes to create separation.
The push was highlighted by a three-point play from Casey Prather and a 3- pointer from Boynton. Michael Frazier then drew a foul on a three-point attempt and sank all three shots from the line to conclude the run and send the Gators into halftime with a 35-23 edge.
The game quickly unraveled for the Bulldogs during a 15-4 Florida flurry to start the second stanza.
Boynton knocked down three shots from beyond the arc during the push. His 3- pointer with 16:38 to go capped the surge to give Florida a commanding 50-27 advantage.
The Bulldogs never came closer than 17 points the rest of the way.
Boynton broke the school record for most 3-pointers in a career. His eight makes from long distance on Sunday gave him 290, breaking Lee Humphrey's record of 288 recorded between 2004-07. Florida outscored Yale 40-26 in the paint ... The Gators converted 13 Bulldogs turnovers into 19 points.
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Defending champ Duke, upstart Yale ready for 2nd round clash Mar 18
- From controversy to NCAA upset artist, Yale eyeing more Mar 18
- Yale blocks out captain's dismissal heading to NCAA tourney Mar 16
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Former Yale captain says he'll sue school over expulsion Mar 14
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Yale, without captain, celebrates first bid in 54 years Mar 13
- Yale team navigates campus anger amid NCAA Tournament bid Mar 10