McDermott powers No. 16 Creighton past AkronDec 9, 2012 - 11:48 PM
McDermott also had six rebounds and four assists, while Gregory Echenique chipped in 10 points and seven boards for the Bluejays (9-1), who have won three straight since falling to Boise State on Nov. 28.
"This was a really good win," Creighton coach Greg McDermott said. "Come March it will be evident what a good win it is. Akron has played in six straight conference championship games. I was scared to death of this team coming in."
Nick Harney scored 14 points and Zeke Marshall added 12 for the Zips (4-3), who remained winless on the road this season.
Akron briefly led 12-9 in the first half, but a 23-12 sequence gave Creighton a 32-24 lead with 4:44 left.
The Zips cut the deficit to 32-29 with just over three minutes left, but the Bluejays closed the half on an 11-2 run to go up 43-31 at the break.
Akron got within 53-44 early in the second half, but it was as close as it could get the rest of the way and Creighton cruised to the easy win.
McDermot went 6-for-8 from 3-point range and the Bluejays finished 10-for-22 from behind the arc ... Akron was just 4-for-17 from long range.
- AKRON: 61
Dec 9 3:53 PM
- AKRON: 31
Dec 9 2:50 PM
- AKRON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 9 2:07 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Georgetown holds Creighton to 40 points Jan 31
- Bluejays host Hoyas in Big East action Jan 31