No. 13 Creighton breezes past DrakeJan 9, 2013 - 6:03 AM
Jahenns Manigat totaled 13 points and five assists, with Grant Gibbs contributing 10 points, five boards and four assists for the Bluejays (15-1, 4-0 MVC), winners of nine consecutive games.
Creighton is off to its best start since 2002-03, when it won 16 of the first 17 games that season.
Joey King picked up 17 points for the Bulldogs (6-9, 0-4), who have dropped four in a row. Jordan Clarke and Micah Mason added 11 points each in defeat.
Creighton was all over Drake early on, scoring 20 of the game's first 22 points. Gibbs, McDermott, Manigat and Wragge all connected from long distance during the run.
"We wanted to jump on them right away and not give them any reason to stick around," Wragge remarked.
It was 34-10 just past the midway point on a Gibbs layup, and the Bluejays led by as many as 30 before assuming a 49-25 margin at the break when Mason closed out the half on a triple.
The high-water mark for Drake in the second half came on a Ben Simons layup which pulled the visitors within 59-38, but a quick 11-2 burst put the Creighton margin at 70-40 -- fueled entirely by Wragge's trifecta of three- pointers plus a layup.
Drake had nothing left in the tank thereafter.
Geoffrey Groselle's lay-in with 2:41 to play provided the hosts with the largest margin of the contest, 86-51.
"We clearly ran into a buzz-saw of a basketball team tonight," Bulldogs coach Mark Phelps said. "The fast start really put us on our heels and we could not obviously over the course of the game recover from that."
Creighton upped its home record over Drake to 56-19 ... The Bluejays shot 64.2 percent (34-of-53) from the field ... The Bulldogs were limited to 35.6 percent (21-of-59) from the floor.
- DRAKE: 61
Jan 8 9:50 PM
- DRAKE: 25
Jan 8 8:47 PM
- DRAKE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 8 8:07 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7