McDermott paces Bluejays past Northern IowaJan 16, 2013 - 3:40 AM Creighton Bluejays to their 11th consecutive victory, a 79-68 decision over the Northern Iowa Panthers.
McDermott, the reigning Missouri Valley Conference Player of the Week, shot 12-of-22 to go along with four rebounds and three assists.
Austin Chatman had 12 points and Grant Gibbs added 11 with seven assists for Creighton (17-1, 6-0 MVC), which is off to its best start through 18 games in school history.
Anthony James paced the Panthers (9-9, 2-4) with 25 points, while Jake Koch supplied 19.
Northern Iowa raced out to a 14-7 lead, but the Bluejays fought back and a Jahenns Manigat layup tied the game at 18-18. After consecutive baskets by Koch and James, Will Artino hit a layup and Gibbs knocked down a trey to put Creighton up 23-22 with 7:05 remaining in the first half.
The Bluejays led by as many as seven before settling for a 37-32 advantage at the break.
A McDermott layup made it 51-41, and the lead stretched to a game-high 16 points at 70-54 on two Chatman free throws with 3:15 to play.
Creighton's win streak matches the longest under coach Greg McDermott ... The Bluejays are the first MVC team to start 17-1 since Drake in 2007-08.
- NORTHERN IOWA: 68
Jan 15 10:03 PM
- NORTHERN IOWA: 32
Jan 15 8:48 PM
- NORTHERN IOWA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 15 8:07 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Texas A&M downs N Iowa with historic last-minute comeback Mar 21
- Experienced Panthers eager to carry momentum forward Mar 19
- Jesperson's halfcourt shot puts Northern Iowa past Texas Mar 19
- First-year Texas coach Smart no longer the underdog Mar 17
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Northern Iowa gives Jacobson a new 10-year deal Apr 2
- Rozier, Louisville top UNI to reach 4th straight Sweet 16 Mar 23
- East Regional action pits Cards against Panthers Mar 22
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20