Wichita State snaps No. 12 Creighton's win streakJan 20, 2013 - 7:06 AM Wichita State edge 12th-ranked Creighton, 67-64, at Charles Koch Arena.
Malcolm Armstead scored 15 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out five assists, Cleanthony Early added 13 points and Demetric Williams finished with 10 for the Shockers (17-2, 6-1 MVC), who have now won 18 straight games at home.
"The defense and rebounding was just good enough," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "Not too many teams can hold Creighton to 64."
Doug McDermott scored a game-high 25 points on 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range and Grant Gibbs scored 14 points to go with eight assists for the Bluejays (17-2, 6-1), who had an 11-game winning streak snapped.
McDermott's 3-pointer with 5:23 left pulled Creighton within 62-61, and the teams traded baskets until Hall was fouled with 49 ticks showing.
Hall, who missed two free throws just over a minute earlier, split a pair from the charity stripe to give the Shockers a 65-63 lead.
"He was ready to go today. That's his game, crashing the boards," McDermott said of Hall.
Following a Bluejays' timeout, Gibbs was fouled as he drove to the hoop. Gibbs bricked the first try, but buried the next to make it 65-64 with 26 seconds remaining.
The Shockers were able to run 10 seconds off the clock before Armstead was fouled and connected on a pair of free throws to give Witchita State a 67-64 advantage.
After an Ethan Wragge 3-pointer from the right corner missed, Creighton fouled Hall with eight seconds left. Hall, though, missed both foul shots, and Wragge raced up court but couldn't get a game-tying 3-pointer to fall and the Shockers held on for the win.
An Armstead 3-pointer with 12:21 left in the first half sparked 21-15 sequence to give Witchita State a 36-29 lead, but McDermott scored the final four points of the frame, including a buzzer-beating 3-pointer, to make it 36-33 at the break.
Creighton leads the all-time series, 53-44 ... Both teams struggled from the foul line. Witchita State went 9-for-19 from the line and the Bluejays were 10-for-17 from the charity stripe ... The Shockers forced 14 turnovers while giving it away just six times.
- CREIGHTON: 64
WICHITA STATE: 67
Jan 19 6:19 PM
- CREIGHTON: 33
WICHITA STATE: 36
Jan 19 4:59 PM
- CREIGHTON: 0
WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 19 4:06 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- Winter storm forces New Mexico St-Wichita St postponement Dec 28
- Wichita State says F Grady's back injury improving Nov 28
- Grady hurt in No. 20 Wichita State loss to Alabama Nov 27
- No. 10 Shockers enter season with high expectations again Nov 3