Jays, McDermott roll past Bears for second straight winJan 31, 2013 - 8:03 AM Omaha, NE (Sports Network) - Doug McDermott posted 29 points and 10 rebounds as No. 21 Creighton rolled to a 91-77 win over Missouri State on Wednesday.
Ethan Wragge scored 15 points while Austin Chatman added 14 points and 10 assists for the Bluejays (19-3, 8-2 MVC), who have won two straight after dropping their previous two.
"Tonight they brought a guy usually every time I touched the ball in the post," said McDermott, who also handed out four assists. "I knew I'd be able to find guys out of that."
Gavin Thurman scored 21 points and Dorrian Williams added 14 points for the Bears (6-16, 4-6), who have lost five of their last six games.
With the game tied early in the first half, Creighton rolled off six straight points capped on a Jahenns Manigat 3-pointer to take the lead for good.
Three straight 3-pointers from the Bluejays saw the team take a 28-17 lead after McDermott capped the burst with a long distance shot with 8 1/2 minutes left in the first half.
A McDermott layup and 3-pointer from Avery Dingman closed the half to give Creighton a 45-32 lead after 20 minutes.
Missouri State just couldn't put any kind of run together in the second half as the team was never closer than 11.
A Christian Kirk layup cut the Bears' deficit to 17, 69-52, with just over nine minutes to play, but the Bluejays answered with seven straight points to put the game away.
"They expose you in so many areas," Missouri State coach Paul Lusk said of Creighton. "McDermott is great. Not good, not good -- great, great college player."
Creighton hosts Bradley on Saturday ... The Bluejays hold a 33-28 lead in the series with the Bears ... Creighton shot 55.6 percent from the floor and grabbed 34 rebounds ... Missouri State made 54.7 percent of its shots, but had just 21 rebounds.
- MISSOURI STATE: 77
Jan 30 10:01 PM
- MISSOURI STATE: 32
Jan 30 8:56 PM
- MISSOURI STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 30 8:08 PM
- Creighton's Maurice Watson Jr. says he's returning to school May 6
- Starter in 2014-15, Orange's Kaleb Joseph heads to Creighton Apr 18
- Creighton's Maurice Watson continues to prove doubters wrong Feb 10
- Creighton hoping transfers Watson, Huff can spark turnaround Oct 21
- Georgetown fends off Creighton in Big East quarters Mar 13
- Big East tourney action pits Bluejays against Hoyas Mar 12
- Arcidiacono, Villanova tops Creighton Mar 3
- Creighton seeks upset of No. 4 Villanova Mar 3
- Butler slips past Creighton Feb 17
- Bluejays and Bulldogs meet in Big East brawl Feb 16
- Tuttle, UNI cruise past Missouri State Feb 15
- Bears face uphill climb in bout with 13th-ranked Panthers Feb 15