Bennett guides UNLV to OT win over Air ForceJan 13, 2013 - 6:19 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Bennett posted 22 points and 16 rebounds as No. 24 UNLV survived to take a 76-71 overtime win over Air Force at Thomas & Mack Center.
Bryce Dejean-Jones scored 18 points while Mike Moser added 14 points and 11 boards for the Rebels (14-3, 1-1 MWC), who bounced back from a conference- opening loss to New Mexico on Wednesday.
Mike Fitzgerald scored 22 points while Michael Lyons gave 19 points and seven boards for the Falcons (9-5, 1-1), who were coming off a win over Nevada on Wednesday.
With Air Force holding a 71-70 lead and under a minute to play in overtime, UNLV went up for good after Dejean-Jones hit a jumper with 12.8 seconds showing.
Lyons attempted an off-balance jumper at the other end, but missed and Khem Birch was fouled with 1.8 seconds left. He hit both his free throws and Air Force attempted a home run pass, but it went out of bounds and Dejean-Jones made two more free throws with 1.4 seconds left to seal the win.
UNLV scored the first eight points of the game, but Air Force came flying back and a Kyle Green 3-pointer gave the team a 17-13 lead just over six minutes in.
The Rebels, though, answered that with a 16-4 run and that helped the team take a 38-30 lead into the break.
UNLV stayed on top for much of the second half, but its offense went cold for close to six minutes and that allowed Air Force to go back on top with two free throws from Green, giving the team a 57-54 lead with five minutes to play.
The game stayed close the rest of the way and two free throws from Dejean- Jones with 37.9 to play tied the game at 62.
Fitzgerald missed a 3-pointer with just seconds left on the clock to send the game to overtime.
UNLV plays at San Diego State on Wednesday ... Air Force plays at Colorado State on Wednesday ... UNLV dominated the glass, 49-32 ... The Rebels have won 29 of the 37 games all-time against the Falcons.
- AIR FORCE: 71
Final - OT
Jan 13 12:23 AM
- AIR FORCE: 62
End of Regulation
Jan 13 12:08 AM
- AIR FORCE: 30
Jan 12 10:47 PM
- AIR FORCE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 10:03 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Air Force downs Western State Colorado 86-66 Dec 29