Golden, Tennessee down Wichita StateDec 14, 2012 - 5:53 AM Knoxville, TN (Sports Network) - Trae Golden scored 25 points and the Tennessee Volunteers took down the 23rd-ranked Wichita State Shockers, 69-60, on Thursday.
Jordan McRae added 17 points for the Volunteers (5-3), who snapped a two-game skid.
"I thought Trae Golden was huge tonight," Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin remarked. "He really attacked the rim, made plays and forced the referee to make calls."
Carl Hall had 21 points and nine rebounds for the Shockers (9-1), who were trying for their first 10-0 start in school history.
"They made a few more plays than we did," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall admitted. "It got away from us late a little bit. We have to do a better job of defending the foul line. They shot great free throws and got there way too many times."
Tennessee went 29-of-36 from the foul line, while Wichita State went 12-of-20 from the charity stripe.
The Volunteers led by as many as six in the first half and took a 30-28 edge into the locker room.
Wichita State used a 7-0 spurt to take a 47-42 lead near the midway mark of the second half.
Tennessee responded with a 12-2 run to go back in front. McRae tallied nine points during the burst, including a 3-pointer with 5:56 remaining to make it a 58-52 contest.
The back-and-forth battle continued when Wichita State put together a 7-0 flurry. Hall's three-point play gave the Shockers a 59-58 edge with 3:55 to go.
However, the Volunteers ended the game on an 11-1 run to claim victory. All the points during the surge came from the foul line, with Golden making six from the charity stripe.
Wichita State leads the all-time series by a 2-1 margin ... The Volunteers are 5-1 on the season when leading at halftime ... Tennessee shot 47.5 percent from the field.
- WICHITA STATE: 60
Dec 13 9:13 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 28
Dec 13 7:53 PM
- WICHITA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 13 7:06 PM
- Forward Lew Evans transferring from Utah State to Tennessee May 12
- Forward Ray Kasongo leaving Tennessee after 1 season Apr 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Wichita State back healthy, faces Vanderbilt in First Four Mar 15
- Tennessee optimistic about future after rare losing season Mar 12
- Tennessee's Kevin Punter Jr. to have season-ending surgery Mar 4
- Tennessee relying more on its freshmen late in season Feb 29
- Tennessee head coaches will hold rare joint press conference Feb 22
- Tennessee falls below .500, second-half collapses a concern Feb 1
- No. 22 Wichita St uses balanced scoring to top Loyola 80-54 Jan 28
- Vols' Moore finds ways to contribute amid scoring slump Jan 25