No. 4 Arizona routs Oral RobertsDec 19, 2012 - 6:54 AM Tucson, AZ (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons led a balanced Arizona attack with 17 points and seven assists as No. 4 Arizona downed Oral Roberts, 89-64, at the McKale Center.
Grant Jerrett followed with 15 points and Brandon Ashley finished with 14, while Nick Johnson and Solomon Hill each contributed 12 points for the Wildcats (9-0), who are 9-0 for the first time since the 1987-88 squad opened the season with 12 straight victories.
"We worked very hard to be 9-0. It was a difficult game," Arizona coach Sean Miller said. "We weren't perfect tonight. We did some really good things, but the things we didn't do so well at we will learn from."
Warren Niles had a game-high 22 points for Oral Roberts (5-5), which had its two-game win streak snapped.
Shawn Glover added 18 points and Steven Roundtree dropped in 11 in defeat.
Lyons opened the game with a 3-pointer to spark a 10-2 run capped with Hill's 3-point play and the Wildcats held that lead for the remainder of the contest.
After three free throws by Niles later brought the Golden Eagles within 21-15, Arizona reeled off seven straight points to open up a 28-15 lead with just under eight minutes remaining in the first half.
The Wildcats maintained a double-digit advantage from there and carried a 45-31 lead into the second half, where Arizona netted the frame's first 11 points to go on top, 56-31.
The Golden Eagles never got closer than 16 points for the remainder of the game.
It was the first-ever meeting between the teams ... Arizona shot 57.6 percent from the field while holding Oral Roberts to just 38.3 percent shooting ... The Wildcats scored 27 points off 20 Oral Roberts turnovers.
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- S. Dakota St. rallies to beat ORU in Summit League tourney Mar 6
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12
- Gonzaga, Arizona to keep one of West's best matchups going Dec 2