Arizona bounces back with win at Oregon StateJan 13, 2013 - 6:09 AM Arizona past Oregon State, 80-70, at Gill Coliseum.
Solomon Hill also dropped in 16 points to go along with six rebounds, while Nick Johnson finished with 14 points, six boards and five assists for the Wildcats (15-1, 3-1 Pac 12), who rebounded from their first loss of the season.
Brandon Ashley added 12 points and seven rebounds in the victory.
Ahmad Starks paced Oregon (10-6, 0-3) with 18 points in the Beavers' third straight loss.
Joe Burton and Roberto Nelson poured in 15 points apiece and Devon Collier recorded a double-double with 13 points and 15 rebounds in defeat.
"I was really pleased with our execution for probably 85 percent of the time, which is not good enough," Oregon State coach Craig Robinson said. "We have to have that 100 percent of the time, but the effort was fantastic."
After a Starks layup gave the Beavers an early 4-2 lead, Arizona reeled off an 11-2 run to jump ahead, 13-6.
Oregon State responded with a 10-4 push to get back within 17-16, but a Kaleb Tarczewski 3-point play prevented the Beavers from taking the lead.
The Wildcats' lead fluctuated between one to six points from there until they scored nine of the final 11 points of the first half to take a 43-35 advantage into the break.
Arizona turned the ball over 10 times in the first half, but counteracted that with a 6-for-11 performance from beyond the arc, including four 3-pointers by Hill.
Oregon State, meanwhile, went 2-for-6 from three-point range, shot 39.3 percent overall and committed eight turnovers in the opening 20 minutes.
The Wildcats then pulled away in the second half, following Nelson's opening layup with six straight points to open up a 12-point lead.
Oregon State never got back within single digits from there and fell behind by as much as 67-50 on a Hill triple just past the midpoint of the frame.
"I thought in the last four minutes prior to halftime and the continued good play throughout the second half was really the difference in the game," Arizona coach Sean Miller said.
Hill finished the game shooting 5-for-8 from three-point range ... Arizona holds a 56-20 advantage in the all-time series ... All three of Oregon State's conference losses have come by double digits ... The Wildcats ended the game shooting 47.5 percent from the floor and 40 percent from beyond the arc ... Oregon State connected on 39.3 percent of its shots and shot 33.3 percent from long distance.
- ARIZONA: 80
OREGON STATE: 70
Jan 12 10:18 PM
- ARIZONA: 43
OREGON STATE: 35
Jan 12 9:05 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
OREGON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 12 8:09 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24