UCLA hands No. 6 Arizona its first home lossJan 25, 2013 - 6:32 AM
David Wear and Jordan Adams, who went without a field goal in a loss to Oregon last Saturday, each chipped in 15 points for the Bruins (16-4, 6-1 Pac-12) in their first road win against their Pac-12 rival since March 2, 2008.
Arizona (16-2, 4-2) got 23 points from Nick Johnson and 16 from Mark Lyons, but never fully recovered from a slow start.
The Wildcats shot just 31 percent (11-of-35) in the first half and found themselves down by as many as 15 after the break.
They got hot during a two-minute stretch in the middle stages of the second half to cut a 14-point deficit down to four with a 10-0 run. Johnson started the string with a 3-point play and ended it with a two-handed slam in transition to get within 55-51.
That was the closest Arizona got, however. Muhammad made a 3-pointer then forced a turnover that led to two free throws for a 65-58 lead with under 5 1/2 minutes to play.
The Wildcats missed several 3-point attempts down the stretch and finished 5- of-24 from behind the arc as UCLA sealed the win at the free throw line.
"Sometimes when we play behind the whole game we try to make things happen individually," Arizona head coach Sean Miller said. "Even though our guys fought hard, we weren't playing team basketball or executing."
Arizona made just one field goal over the final 7 1/2 minutes, and a 12-0 run had the Bruins on top, 19-3.
A late Grant Jerrett pulled the Wildcats within 35-30, but a layup by Larry Drew II and a three-point play by Kyle Anderson over the final two minutes pushed UCLA's advantage to double-digits at the break.
Consecutive jumpers by Adams gave the visitors their biggest lead, 49-34, four minutes into the second half.
The Bruins' previous victory on the road against ranked team came Feb. 7, 2008 at No. 17 Washington State ... Solomon Hill posted 13 points and 10 rebounds for the Wildcats, who had just 10 assists on 28 made field goals ... Anderson pulled down a game-high 12 rebounds.
- UCLA: 84
Jan 24 11:20 PM
- UCLA: 40
Jan 24 9:59 PM
- UCLA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 24 9:11 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12