Lyons helps Wildcats to win over CougarsFeb 3, 2013 - 5:42 AM Pullman, WA (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons scored 20 points, and eighth-ranked Arizona topped Washington State, 79-65, to earn a rare road sweep of schools from the Evergreen State.
Solomon Hill had 18 points, all on 3-point shots. That included an incredible shot from three-quarters court at the end of the first half. Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewski both scored 10 for the Wildcats (19-2, 7-2 Pac-12), who have won three in a row.
Arizona secured its first road sweep of the Washington schools for the first time since the 2005-06 season. They were coming off a 57-53 victory over the Huskies on Thursday.
Brock Motum and DaVonte Lacy each had 15 points for the Cougars (11-11, 2-7), who have lost four of their last five contests. Royce Woolridge and D.J. Shelton added 14 and 13 points, respectively. Shelton also had 10 rebounds.
Lyons scored the first five of a 7-0 run to expand Arizona's lead to 18-9. The Wildcats pushed their advantage to 26-12 following Hill's 3-ball midway through the half.
Arizona led by as many as 17 in the opening half and went to the break holding a 40-26 edge thanks to limiting the Cougars to 8-of-22 from the field. Hill and his teammates walked off the court after the incredible shot from well beyond halfcourt.
Washington State never got within single-digits in the second half, as Arizona upped its game from the field, making 13-of-25 over the final 20 minutes.
Arizona's Kevin Parrom was ejected from the game midway through the first half after delivering a flagrant foul to Lacy ... Hill went 6-of-10 from beyond the arc ... Arizona owns a commanding 56-16 lead in the all-time series with Washington State, which includes victories in a staggering 49 of the last 55 meetings ... WSU has lost its last six games against ranked opponents, with its last win over No. 18 Washington, Jan. 30, 2011 at home ... The Wildcats went 11-of-30 from 3-point range.
- ARIZONA: 79
WASHINGTON STATE: 65
Feb 3 12:03 AM
- ARIZONA: 40
WASHINGTON STATE: 26
Feb 2 10:57 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
WASHINGTON STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 2 10:08 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- 3 Washington State players declare for NBA draft Apr 15
- Que Johnson decides to leave Washington St basketball team Apr 12
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Arizona coach Sean Miller fed up with court storming Feb 25
- Trier misses 3 at buzzer, No. 9 Arizona falls to Colorado Feb 25
- Arizona's Miller rips into team after loss to No. 23 Oregon Jan 29
- Freshman Trier to miss up to 6 weeks for No. 7 Arizona Jan 10
- Arizona's Trier coming on strong after talk from Miller Dec 12