UNLV holds off No. 22 Colorado StateFeb 21, 2013 - 7:28 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Marshall's jumper with seven seconds left lifted UNLV to a 61-59 win over No. 22 Colorado State on Wednesday.
Marshall finished with 11 points while Bryce Dejean-Jones and Katin Reinhardt added 15 points apiece for the Rebels (20-7, 7-5 MWC), winners in three of their last four tilts.
Anthony Bennett had eight points and seven rebounds in the triumph.
Colton Iverson scored 16 points and pulled down 10 rebounds, Daniel Bejarano dropped in 12 and Wes Eikmeier finished with 10 points for the Rams (21-5, 8-3), who were outrebounded for the first time all season (38-31).
"We got beat by a gutsy team," said Rams coach Larry Eustachy. "They were ready for us. We had a chance to win at the end, but a tougher team won."
UNLV led 51-44 with 7:59 left, but Bejarano canned a 3-pointer to ignite a 13-4 flurry that put Colorado State up 57-55 with 2:44 remaining.
Khem Birch's dunk moments later knotted the game at 57-57, but Marshall was whistled for a foul while trying to fight through a screen at the top of the key.
Dorain Green knocked down the subsequent free throws with just under two minutes left to put the visitors ahead once again.
On the Rebels ensuing trip down the floor Marshall bricked a 3-point try, but Dejean-Jones grabbed the rebound and UNLV quickly called a timeout.
Marshall missed another try from behind the arc out of the timeout, but Dejean-Jones was there once again and was fouled as he tipped it in to tie the game.
Dejean-Jones missed the free throw and Green's 3-point try with 39 seconds left didn't fall.
Marshall grabbed the miss and let the clock wind down to seven seconds before burying the go-ahead basket.
"I just got my legs under me and tried to follow through all the way," Marshall said. "That last one just fell through for me."
Bejarano's trey at the buzzer drew iron and the Rebels held on for the win.
UNLV raced out to a 22-12 lead with 7:05 left in the first half and led 32-21 at the break.
UNLV holds a 34-11 advantage in the all-time series ... The Rebels improved to 16-1 at home this season ... The Rams are 5-5 on the road this season.
- COLORADO STATE: 59
Feb 21 12:17 AM
- COLORADO STATE: 21
Feb 20 11:02 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 20 10:21 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Colorado St. extends Eustachy, contract runs through 2019 Dec 8