No. 25 New Mexico trounces Fresno StateJan 13, 2013 - 1:28 AM Albuquerque, NM (Sports Network) - Alex Kirk posted game highs with 19 points and 14 rebounds to lead No. 25 New Mexico to a 72-45 win over Fresno State at The Pit on Saturday.
Tony Snell and Cameron Bairstow added 16 points and five boards apiece for the Lobos (15-2, 2-0 MWC), who improved to 9-1 at home this season.
"We thought we could hurt them inside," said New Mexico coach Steve Alford. "We got bigs. Cam and Alex are just getting better and better and better. They are just playing at a really high level. Those guys are very talented."
Marvelle Harris scored 11 points and Robert Upshaw added nine for the Bulldogs (6-9, 0-2), who have dropped two in a row and six of their last seven.
New Mexico raced out to a 17-8 lead early in the first half, but Fresno State was able to cut it to 17-14 following a Kevin Olekaibe 3-pointer at the 11:13 mark.
The Lobos scored the next six points for a 23-14 advantage, but the Bulldogs responded with a 6-0 swing of their own to make it 23-20 with just over six minutes remaining in the half.
New Mexico closed the first half on a 16-2 surge to take a 39-22 lead into the break.
The Lobos kept their foot on the gas in the early parts of the second, pushing its spread to 46-23.
Harris, though, ended the drought with a triple and an Upshaw jumper with 12 1/2 minutes left made it a 51-32 game.
The teams traded buckets until a pair of Snell free throws with 2:41 left sparked a 10-1 run than accounted for the final margin.
The Lobos shot 49.2 percent (29-for-59) from the floor and held the Bulldogs to 33.3 percent (16-for-48) shooting ... Jamal Fenton scored nine points and pulled down six rebounds off the bench for New Mexico ... Both teams struggled from 3-point range. The Lobos went just 2-for-12 from behind the arc and Fresno State finished 5-for-20 from downtown ... New Mexico owns a 9-7 advantage in the all-time series.
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18
- Cowboys visit Bulldogs in pivotal Mountain West clash Jan 17
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- Siena downs Fresno State in CBI final Apr 5
- Bulldogs and Saints meet in CBI rubber match Apr 5
- Fresno State routs Siena, ties CBI Apr 2
- Siena seeks CBI crown in showdown with Fresno State Apr 2