Cal topples No. 10 OregonFeb 3, 2013 - 5:27 AM Berkeley, CA (Sports Network) - Richard Solomon and Allen Crabbe each scored 13 points as California triumphed over 10th-ranked Oregon, 58-54, on Saturday.
Solomon also had 12 rebounds for the Golden Bears (13-8, 5-4 Pac-12), who won their first game against a ranked team this season. Tyrone Wallace recorded 12 points and three steals.
"It gives us an energy boost, taking care of business at home with the win against Oregon State and the win against Oregon," Solomon said. "It gives us a lot of energy as we head out on the road this week. Hopefully we can keep it going."
Tony Woods had a game-high 14 points and eight rebounds, while Arsalan Kazemi scored 10 points for the Ducks (18-4, 7-2), who lost their second straight game after winning their previous nine.
With 11:29 remaining, Cal held a 42-39 lead before a layup by Carlos Emory sparked an 11-0 run for Oregon and gave it a 50-42 advantage with 6 1/2 minutes left.
However, the Golden Bears answered back with a 6-0 run of their own, before being interrupted by Kazemi. After a score by Woods, Cal went on an 8-0 run, capped off by an 18-foot jumper by Justin Cobbs, to give the team a 56-54 edge with 1:26 remaining.
With eight seconds left, Oregon's E.J. Singler attempted a three-pointer to take the lead, but missed. Woods picked up the offensive rebound but quickly turned the ball over to David Kravish.
Cobbs hit two free throws with five seconds remaining to put the game out of reach. The Ducks' Johnathan Loyd missed a long three as the buzzer sounded and fans stormed the middle of the court and celebrated.
Oregon had a 27-24 lead at halftime.
"The guys battled their tails off. We played really hard," Oregon coach Dana Altman said. "The tunrovers and second-chance points were the difference and that really hurts. The guys played really hard and I've got absolutely no problem with their effort at all."
The last time the Golden Bears beat a top-10 team was on Jan. 31, 2008, a 69-64 win at then-No. 9 Washington State ... The last time Cal beat a top-10 team at home was on Jan. 26, 2006, against then-No. 10 Washington, 71-69 ... Crabbe has 183 career three-pointers made, tied with Richard Midgley for third in program history ... Oregon was held scoreless over the final four minutes.
- OREGON: 54
Feb 2 6:39 PM
- OREGON: 27
Feb 2 5:24 PM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 2 4:39 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17