Cobbs' jumper lifts Cal over OregonFeb 22, 2013 - 6:11 AM California to a 48-46 win over 23rd-ranked Oregon on Thursday.
Oregon's Damyean Dotson missed a potential go-ahead jumper with 35 seconds left and Richard Solomon grabbed the rebound and the Golden Bears called a timeout.
Cal let the clock wind down before Cobbs took the ball on the left wing and dribbled once to his left before pulling up and burying the go-ahead jumper with 0.7 seconds showing on the clock, and the Ducks were unable to get a desperation shot off.
"Just the whole game I felt like I had a lot of mental lapses and I owed it to my team," Cobbs said. "I've been working on my jump shot a lot and I knew if I got the ball in the right spot I'd be able to knock it down."
Cobbs finished with 14 points, eight rebounds and seven assists and Allen Crabbe scored 12 points for the Golden Bears (17-9, 9-5 Pac-12).
Carlos Emory scored 13 points and Arsalan Kazemi scored 11 points and pulled down 18 rebounds for the Ducks (21-6, 10-4), who had a three-game winning streak snapped.
Oregon led 46-43 with just over two minutes to go, but Robert Thurman tied the game with a three-point play.
Crabbe stripped Dotson on the ensuing inbounds pass, but bricked a jumper at the 1:24 mark.
Johnathan Loyd's 3-point attempt rimmed out, but Kazemi was there to grab the miss. Kazemi passed to Dotson, who dribbled the clock down to 35 seconds, but couldn't get his jumper to fall.
"It just comes down to the fact that we have to hit our shots," Oregon coach Dana Altman said. "We got some open looks that we didn't make, and we didn't hit our free throws. We played awfully hard, we just didn't do the things necessary to win."
Oregon led 18-9 with eight minutes left in the first half before pushing its spread to 22-11 at the 5:47 mark.
Cal used a 10-2 run to pull within 24-21 before Kazemi's dunk with 56 seconds left sent the Ducks into the break with a 26-21 lead.
Solomon scored eight points and pulled down 11 rebounds ... Oregon shot just 27.6 percent (16-for-58) from the field.
- CALIFORNIA: 48
Feb 21 11:12 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 21
Feb 21 9:57 PM
- CALIFORNIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 21 9:09 PM
- Cal's Ivan Rabb bypasses draft to stay for sophomore season Apr 25
- Cal freshman star Jaylen Brown to declare for NBA draft Apr 21
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Cal's tumultuous week ended by No. 13 seed Hawaii 77-66 Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Cal coach Cuonzo Martin declines to discuss school review Mar 17
- California tries to set aside distractions facing Hawaii Mar 17