Snell, New Mexico tops NevadaMar 7, 2013 - 6:04 AM Reno, NV (Sports Network) - Tony Snell poured in 25 points and Cameron Bairstow added 15 points and 10 rebounds to lead 12th-ranked New Mexico to a 75-62 win over Nevada on Wednesday.
Alex Kirk scored 11 points and grabbed 10 boards and Kendall Williams added 10 points for the Lobos (26-4, 13-2 MWC), who have won six straight games.
Malik Story scored 25 points for Nevada (12-17, 3-12), losers in six straight and nine of its last 10.
New Mexico took a 40-34 lead early in the second half following a pair of Snell free throws, but the Wolf Pack used a 16-7 swing to go up 50-47 at the 12:20 mark.
The teams traded makes until Bairstow's jumper with 7:50 left sparked a 17-0 burst to put the Lobos ahead for good. Bairstow and Snell combined for 12 points on the run.
Nevada couldn't get closer than 13 the rest of the way.
It was a back-and-forth game early in the first half, but Kirk drained a jumper with 13:05 left, sparking a 9-4 swing that gave New Mexico a 19-14 edge.
The Wolf Pack rallied for 10 unanswered points to go up 24-19 with 7:16 remaining in the first half, but a pair of Williams free throws and a Chad Adam trey tied the game at 24-24.
A Marqueze Coleman free throw tied the game at 32 with 1:19 left in the first half, but Snell scored the final four points of the period to give New Mexico a 36-32 lead at the break.
New Mexico has won the only two games between the schools ... The Lobos won the MWC regular-season title for the fourth time in the last five years thanks to a 53-42 victory against Wyoming on Saturday ... Kevin Panzer and Cole Huff finished with nine points apiece in the setback.
- NEW MEXICO: 75
Mar 7 12:09 AM
- NEW MEXICO: 36
Mar 6 10:59 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 6 10:17 PM
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNM investigating purchasing activity on staffer's card Dec 22
- West leaves Nevada hoops; ex-star cites personal reasons Dec 15
- Lobos forward's career over because of spinal condition Nov 19
- Nevada picks Eric Musselman as men's coach Mar 25
- New Mexico knocks off unbeaten CSU Jan 4
- Rams and Lobos mix it up in Mountain West melee Jan 3
- New Mexico's Neal to receive two-year extension Mar 31
- Stanford holds off New Mexico Mar 21