Bennett, UNLV slay No. 15 New MexicoFeb 10, 2013 - 8:25 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Bennett filled the stat sheet with 17 points, 12 rebounds, three blocks and two steals, as the UNLV Runnin' Rebels took down the 15th-ranked New Mexico Lobos, 64-55, on Saturday.
Bryce Dejean-Jones added 16 points, nine boards and two blocks for the Runnin' Rebels (18-6, 5-4 MWC), who avenged a 65-60 loss to New Mexico on Jan. 9. Katin Reinhardt made four 3-pointers en route to 16 points.
"We needed to have individual accountability and we did that tonight," UNLV coach Dave Rice said. "For us to be successful, we need everybody. Guys who play a lot of minutes, guys who play a few minutes, our scout team. We want our program to be about 'team,' and this was a terrific team victory for us tonight."
Alex Kirk ended with 17 points and 16 rebounds for the Lobos (20-4, 7-2), who had won three in a row. Cameron Bairstow donated 13 points.
Holding a 17-10 lead with 10 minutes left in the first half, Dejean-Jones went on a personal 7-0 run to give UNLV some breathing room.
However, New Mexico responded with the next six points to get within eight, 24-16.
Reinhardt made a pair of 3-pointers in the final two minutes to give the Runnin' Rebels a 37-23 margin at the break.
UNLV held a double-digit lead for a majority of the second half, but the Lobos tried to make a late run. Trailing by 14, 56-42, with under seven minutes to play, New Mexico went on a 6-0 flurry to make in an eight-point contest.
Reinhardt stopped the small run with a layup and Anthony Marshall made four free throws down the stretch to secure the victory.
"I thought our guys gave great effort," Lobo coach Steve Alford said. "(We held them to) 37 percent shooting and we tied them on the backboard (44 rebounds apiece). We didn't turn the ball over that much (13 times). I really like what the guys did defensively."
The Runnin' Rebels hold a 29-18 advantage in the all-time series ... UNLV went 9-of-22 from beyond the arc ... The Runnin' Rebels had seven blocks, compared to two for New Mexico.
- NEW MEXICO: 55
Feb 9 11:02 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 23
Feb 9 9:51 PM
- NEW MEXICO: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 9:06 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- Correction: New Mexico-San Jose St story Jan 25
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10