Dotson leads Oregon past UNLVNov 24, 2012 - 8:26 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Damyean Dotson scored 19 points, including the game's final four to lift the Oregon Ducks past the 18th-ranked UNLV Runnin' Rebels, 83-79, in the semifinals of the Global Sports Classic.
Carlos Emory added 16 points for Oregon, his last two coming on a bank shot in transition that tied the game, 79-79, with just over a minute remaining.
After Justin Hawkins missed a 3-pointer from the corner, Dotson spun left in the lane and got a bucket to fall, then hit the clinching free throws with 6.3 seconds remaining following an Anthony Marshall miss.
"I didn't like some of our execution, but the guys played hard and found a way to win," Oregon coach Dana Altman said.
The outcome ended UNLV's 20-game winning streak at Thomas & Mack Center and advanced the Ducks (5-0) into the early tournament championship game against No. 22 Cincinnati on Saturday.
Anthony Bennett led UNLV (2-1) with 22 points, while Katin Reinhardt netted 18 behind 4-of-8 shooting from behind the arc.
There were 18 lead changes in a roller-coaster second half, and a Reinhardt 3- pointer gave the Rebels their last lead, 79-77, with 1:34 remaining.
Dotson missed at the other end, and Bennett had a chance to make it a two- possession game. But his running layup rolled off the rim, and the Ducks scored the final six points to steal the victory.
"I'm very proud of the fact that we lost our way midway through the first half, but we found a way to come back," UNLV coach Dave Rice said. "We have to learn from this."
The Rebels hit six of their first eight shots, then went eight minutes without a field goal as their six-point lead turned into a nine-point deficit.
Ben Carter's tip-in with under nine minutes remaining had the Ducks on top, 25-16, before Hawkins ended the drought with a 3-pointer.
Marshall's three-point play in the final minute pulled UNLV within 40-37 at halftime, and the Rebels went in front, 41-40, on two Bennett free throws shortly after the break.
It was back-and-forth from there.
Hawkins scored 12 points for the Rebels, who committed 18 turnovers and shot just 8-of-30 (27 percent) from 3-point range ... Oregon connected on only 3- of-19 (16 percent) from long distance but shot 25-of-48 (52 percent) from inside the arc.
- OREGON: 83
Nov 23 11:34 PM
- OREGON: 40
Nov 23 10:14 PM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 23 9:19 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19