No. 21 Oregon edges USCJan 18, 2013 - 7:27 AM
Damyean Dotson and E.J. Singler each shined in the second half to help the 21st-ranked Ducks escape the Galen Center with a 76-74 victory over a USC Trojans team that played its first game under interim coach Bob Cantu.
Dotson scored 11 of his 16 points after halftime, while Singler supplied 12 after being held to two in the first half.
Tony Woods, Carlos Emory and Dominic Artis finished with 10 points apiece for Oregon (15-2, 4-0 Pac-12). The Ducks have won their first four conference games for the first time since 1973-74, when the league was called the Pac-8.
J.T. Terrell had 22 points for the Trojans (7-11, 2-3), who nearly forced overtime but saw their rally fall short in Cantu's debut.
Cantu took over for Kevin O'Neill, who was fired Monday.
Singler nailed a 3-pointer to put the Ducks up 75-65 with 2:57 remaining, but USC charged back with a 9-0 run. Terrell sank two free throws to trim the deficit to 75-74 with 33.1 seconds remaining.
After Artis made 1-of-2 at the stripe, the Trojans called a timeout to draw up the tying or possible winning play. USC missed a 3-pointer for the lead and then couldn't convert two putbacks before Oregon's Arsalan Kazemi secured the rebound.
Oregon has won the last six meetings with USC ... Eric Wise scored 17 points for the Trojans ... The Ducks led 35-31 at halftime ... USC shot 45.3 percent from the floor, but missed 12 free throws ... Oregon finished shooting 42.9 percent.
- OREGON: 76
Jan 18 1:15 AM
- OREGON: 35
Jan 18 12:00 AM
- OREGON: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 17 11:07 PM
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Southern California extends coach Andy Enfield's contract Mar 28
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- NCAA wins scarce lately for Providence, Southern Cal Mar 16
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15
- USC chosen for first NCAA Tournament since 2011 Mar 13
- Power outage briefly cuts lights at Oregon-USC game Mar 5