No. 19 Oregon downs Utah to halt skidFeb 10, 2013 - 3:53 AM Eugene, OR (Sports Network) - E.J. Singler had 21 points and eight rebounds as No. 19 Oregon defeated Utah, 73-64, on Saturday.
Singler was 4-of-6 from the field and 12-of-13 from the free-throw line for the Ducks (19-5, 8-3 Pac-12), who snapped a three-game losing streak. Damyean Dotson added 16 points for Oregon, while Arsalan Kazemi recorded a double- double with 11 points and 14 rebounds.
Jason Washburn registered 20 points and seven rebounds and Jarred DuBois added 15 points for the Utes (10-13, 2-9), who sit at the bottom of the Pac-12 conference standings.
Oregon started the second half on a 6-0 run to cut Utah's lead to two, 30-28. After a layup by Washburn, Singler made a 3-pointer to get the Ducks within one, 32-31, with 16:25 left to play.
The two teams traded shots for the next several minutes, but it wasn't until the 11:26 mark that Oregon began to take over. Down 43-38, a 3-pointer by Johnathan Loyd sparked an 18-2 run over the next 7 1/2 minutes. With about four minutes remaining in regulation, the Ducks were up 56-45.
Utah tried to come back and got within six, 61-55, with 2:16 to go. However, it was not enough.
Oregon made 12 of its final 14 free throws to pick up the win. Singler was largely responsible, shooting 9-of-10.
It was a largely back-and-forth contest early on in the first half, with neither team having a lead of more than five points.
Down 20-19 with 5:13 left to play, Utah went on a 8-0 run, before being interrupted by two free throws from Oregon's Tony Woods, to give them a 27-22 edge. Washburn fired a jumper at the buzzer to give them a 30-22 margin at halftime.
Oregon swept the season series last year when these teams met as league foes for the first time ... Oregon plays against Washington on Wednesday ... Utah plays against Arizona State on Wednesday.
- UTAH: 64
Feb 9 10:07 PM
- UTAH: 30
Feb 9 8:51 PM
- UTAH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 9 8:04 PM
- Utah center Jakob Poeltl declares for NBA draft Apr 13
- Altman on Coach K: 'I had no problem with what he did' Apr 1
- Coach K apologizes to Altman for postgame chat with Brooks Mar 26
- Altman backs Brooks after late-game drama with Coach K Mar 26
- Oklahoma's Kruger, Oregon's Altman test bond in Elite Eight Mar 25
- Oregon takes the national stage against defending champ Duke Mar 23
- Gonzaga's Sabonis gets best of Utah's Poeltl Mar 20
- Versatility a key as top-seed Oregon faces St. Joseph's Mar 19
- Air up there: Zags, Utah features rare meeting of big men Mar 18
- Tyler Dorsey a catalyst to Oregon's surge for No. 1 seed Mar 17
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- Oregon's rise on national stage highlighted by top seed Mar 15