Franklin, San Diego State clobber San Diego ChristianNov 14, 2012 - 7:35 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jamaal Franklin poured in a game-high 28 points on 10-of-15 shooting and ripped down 12 rebounds as No. 25 San Diego State clobbered San Diego Christian, 91-57, on Tuesday at Viejas Arena.
Chase Tapley contributed 18 points on 6-of-12 from the floor to go with six rebounds for the Aztecs (1-1), who opened their season with a loss to Syracuse Sunday on the flight deck of the U.S.S Midway.
"We really did a good job of not getting selfish. We did a good job of sharing the ball. If a guy was open we gave up the ball and I think that is a testament to the quality of the kids we have," San Diego State head coach Steve Fisher said.
DeShawn Stephens added nine points and eight rebounds, while Xavier Thames donated nine points in the victory.
Kevin Dawson netted a team-high 15 points to go with six rebounds, while Kwaminique Brandon contributed 14 points for the Hawks (0-2), who fell to Simpson College in their season opener.
"They are the most athletically gifted and as talented as I've seen out of the three (times) that we've played them," San Diego Christian head coach Tim Cook said.
San Diego Christian kept it close early, trailing 11-8 with less than three minutes gone, but the Aztecs embarked on an 18-5 run over the next five-plus minutes to extend the lead to 29-13 with 12:09 on the first half clock.
Dawson drained a 3-pointer to stop the run, cutting the deficit to 29-16, but San Diego State kept the pressure up, closing the first 20 minutes with a 20-8 surge to hold a comfortable 49-24 margin at halftime.
San Diego State kept rolling in the second half with very little resistance from the Hawks.
A pair of free throws from Dwayne Polee II with 10:28 to go pushed the Aztecs advantage to 66-36, and a few minutes later, Franklin gave San Diego State its largest advantage of the game, 81-41, with two free throws.
The SDSU margin never dipped below 30 the rest of the way.
SDSU has won eight consecutive home openers ... San Diego State shot 50.8 percent from the floor, while holding San Diego Christian to just 34.4 percent ... The Hawks turned the ball over 24 times, leading to 19 SDSU points.
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20