San Diego State dominates Arkansas-Pine BluffNov 22, 2012 - 6:30 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chase Tapley drained five 3-pointers en route to 15 points on Wednesday as No. 25 San Diego State routed Arkansas-Pine Bluff, 79-43, at Viejas Arena.
Jamaal Franklin netted 15 points and ripped down 12 rebounds, while Skylar Spencer added 12 points and five rebounds for the Aztecs (3-1), who have won three straight since losing to Syracuse on Nov. 11 on the flight deck of the U.S.S. Midway.
Deshawn Stephens contributed 11 points and 10 rebounds in the victory.
"I thought we did a nice job defensively for most of the game, especially in the first half," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher said. " We made it hard for them to get good clean looks at the basket and it showed."
DaVon Haynes scored a game-high 17 points on 6-of-9 shooting for the Golden Lions (1-3), who went 0-for-11 from beyond the arc. Mitchell Anderson scored 10 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for Arkansas-Pine Bluff in defeat.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff kept it close early, but San Diego State pulled away with a crushing 25-4 surge to go ahead 31-10 with just over four minutes to play in the first half.
Tapley drained three 3-pointers during the flurry, while Franklin added six points during that span. San Diego State held a comfortable 36-14 advantage at halftime.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff never got close in the second 20 minutes, as San Diego State's lead never dipped below 20.
"San Diego State shot the ball very well tonight," Arkansas-Pine Bluff coach George Ivory said. "They were 11-of-27 from three and I think anytime you make 11 three's you're shooting it pretty good. I thought they did a great job defensively. They played hard all through the game and that's what I expected out of a team ranked 25th in the country."
San Diego State won the only other meeting between these two teams, taking a 93-61 decision at home in December of 2008 ... San Diego State shot 41.5 percent while holding the Golden Lions to just 33.3 percent ... The Aztecs received 30 points from their bench, while the Arkansas-Pine Bluff reserves produced 16 points ... The Golden Lions turned the ball over 15 times.
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 43
SAN DIEGO STATE: 79
Nov 22 12:26 AM
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 14
SAN DIEGO STATE: 36
Nov 21 11:20 PM
- ARKANSAS-PINE BLUFF: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 21 10:36 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20