No. 18 Aztecs take down crosstown rival San DiegoDec 16, 2012 - 7:02 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Chase Tapley dropped in a team-high 15 points on 4-of-7 shooting from the floor and No. 18 San Diego State easily handled San Diego, 72-56, Saturday at Viejas Arena.
Jamaal Franklin netted 14 points and pulled down eight rebounds, while Deshawn Stephens went a perfect 5-for-5 from the floor for 11 points to go with six rebounds for the Aztecs (8-1), who have won eight straight since a season- opening loss to Syracuse on Nov. 11.
JJ O'Brien and Xavier Thames contributed eight points apiece in the victory.
"It was a nice win against a San Diego team that's playing very good basketball," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher said. "I think they're going to have a very good season as they continue to move forward."
Ken Rancifer swished home a game-high 16 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while Chris Manresa and Christopher Anderson donated 11 points each for the Toreros (6-6), who saw their three-game winning streak come to an end.
Johnny Dee and Mike Davis chipped in with nine points apiece in the loss.
"We have a bunch of young guys. It's good experience for them, but turnovers killed us," said Rancifer.
It was a one-possession game for much of the opening 20 minutes as a jumper by James Rahon gave the Aztecs a 20-18 lead with 9:16 to play in the session.
That bucket set San Diego State off on a 10-0 run, which was capped by a second consecutive 3-ball from Tapley with just under six minutes to play in the half to give the Aztecs a 28-18 advantage.
Davis buried a 3-pointer with 2:35 on the clock to cut the margin to 32-26, but San Diego went into the locker room trailing, 39-26.
San Diego State poured it on in the second half, as an easy layup by Winston Shepard put the home side ahead, 57-37 with 10:42 to play.
The Aztecs rolled the rest of the way and San Diego could never get the deficit below 14 points.
The Aztecs own a 27-17 advantage in the all-time series between the squads and have won seven straight meetings and 10 of the last 11 overall ... San Diego State shot an efficient 52 percent from the floor, while holding the Toreros to just 38.3 percent shooting, including 5-of-15 from beyond the arc ... The Aztecs converted 13 San Diego turnovers into 21 points.
- SAN DIEGO: 56
SAN DIEGO STATE: 72
Dec 15 11:47 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 26
SAN DIEGO STATE: 39
Dec 15 10:48 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 15 10:06 PM
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- San Diego St. 9-0 at halfway point of Mountain West schedule Feb 1
- San Diego State says basketball program cleared by NCAA Jan 5
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Nov 21
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22