UNLV knocks off No. 15 San Diego StateJan 17, 2013 - 7:15 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Anthony Marshall scored 20 points with eight rebounds and five assists as UNLV took an 82-75 win over No. 15 San Diego State on Wednesday.
Bryce Dejean-Jones scored 14 points with five rebounds while Khem Birch added 12 points and five blocks for the Rebels (15-3, 2-1 MWC), who have won their past two games.
Jamaal Franklin scored 27 points with seven rebounds and Winston Shepard added 18 points, five rebounds and five assists for the Aztecs (14-3, 2-1), who had a three-game winning streak stopped.
"We got beat tonight by a really good basketball team," San Diego State coach Steve Fisher said. "They made those plays down the stretch and we didn't. I'm proud of our fight and effort, especially in the second half."
UNLV held a nine-point lead, 60-51, after Katin Reinhardt put in two free throws five minutes into the second half, but San Diego State came clawing back.
The Aztecs scored the next 12 points as the Rebels were held off the board for five minutes. Shepard's jumper with just under 10 minutes to play gave the team a 63-60 lead.
It stayed a one-possession game over the next several minutes until Marshall put in a layup for a 71-67 advantage with just over 5 1/2 minutes left in the game.
A bit later, a 3-point from Franklin tied the game at 73, but Dejean-Jones followed that with a free throw and Birch put in a tip shot a bit later for a 76-73 advantage.
After a pair of 3-point misses by San Diego State, Dejean-Jones missed a 3- pointer, but Justin Hawkins grabbed the rebound and put in a layup for a 78-73 advantage.
Shepard followed with a jumper and the other end and Marshall missed a jumper, but Birch grabbed the offensive board and put in a layup with 25.4 seconds to play.
Franklin then turned the ball over and Dejean-Jones hit two from the line to seal the win.
"We had a good feeling coming in here. We had confidence," said UNLV coach Dave Rice. "That game could have gone either way, we were fortunate to win. We made enough plays to find a way on the road to get it done."
It was a tight first half, but very high scoring as each team made runs to keep the game close, but the Rebels closed the half on an 8-3 burst to take a 48-42 lead into the break.
San Diego State plays at Wyoming on Saturday ... UNLV plays in Colorado State on Saturday ... UNLV leads the series, 34-21, and won at San Diego State for the first time since 2008 ... UNLV shot a blistering 51.6 percent, while holding San Diego State to just 38.8 percent from the floor.
- UNLV: 82
SAN DIEGO STATE: 75
Jan 17 12:19 AM
- UNLV: 48
SAN DIEGO STATE: 42
Jan 16 11:06 PM
- UNLV: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 16 10:16 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- Playing in the Garden nice consolation prize for Aztecs Mar 25
- Fisher's Aztecs looking for 7th straight NCAA tourney berth Mar 9
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- SDSU tops San Jose State 78-56 to clinch share of MWC title Feb 21
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5