UCLA keeps Oregon State winless in Pac-12 playJan 18, 2013 - 6:03 AM UCLA downed Oregon State, 74-64, at Pauley Pavilion.
Kyle Anderson and Travis Wear each added 17 points, with the former posting nine rebounds for the Bruins (15-3, 5-0 Pac-12), winners of 10 consecutive outings.
Roberto Nelson tallied 17 points for the Beavers (10-7, 0-4), losers in four straight since the commencement of conference play. Joe Burton had 12 points with eight boards and four assists in defeat.
Oregon State's largest lead in the contest was 12-7, which UCLA reversed and took control for good with a 12-2 run.
Muhammad and Norman Powell sunk back-to-back treys to put the Bruins on top, then Travis and David Wear ended the surge with consecutive jumpers for a five-point edge.
Nelson's triple pulled OSU to within 21-19, but six in a row from UCLA gave it some breathing room. Anderson's layup provided a 34-24 margin for the hosts, who led 37-26 at halftime.
The Bruins began the second half on a 13-4 tear, going up 50-30 after a Travis Wear jumper. Muhammad recorded a three-point play in the burst, while Anderson struck for consecutive baskets.
Nelson found the net once more from long distance to end an 8-0 clip from the Beavers and brought them within 58-48 seconds shy of the midway point, but Muhammad drained a trey before Anderson made two buckets in succession to give the Bruins a 17-point spread with eight minutes left.
OSU was only able to shrink its deficit to 10 from there.
"I saw some good things in there, but there were too many bad things," Oregon State coach Craig Robinson said. "I thought we had some momentum going into the halftime, and we scored on our first play and then they scored like six or seven points. That kind of took the wind out of the sails."
UCLA has won 14 of the last 15 meetings with Oregon State ... The Beavers shot almost 52 percent in the second half, but was undone by connecting on just 6- of-20 attempts from beyond the arc for the game ... The Bruins claimed a slight 37-35 edge on the glass.
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Beavers bummed about early exit, but excited for the future Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Pac-12 says end of Washington-Oregon State handled properly Feb 25
- No. 11 Oregon State women grind out 61-47 win over Colorado Jan 24
- Oregon State Preview Capsule Oct 28
- Oregon State Beavers no longer the Pac-12 surprise Oct 28
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28