No. 20 UNLV routs La VerneDec 14, 2012 - 6:36 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Bennett scored 27 points and grabbed 14 rebounds, as 20th-ranked UNLV blitzed La Verne, 91-44, at Orleans Arena.
Katin Reinhardt added 14 points and six assists, while Savon Goodman posted 13 points and nine rebounds for the Runnin' Rebels (8-1), which posted their sixth straight win. Bennett was coming off a 25-point, 13-rebound performance in a dramatic victory over California.
"When we're at our best, the ball moves," UNLV coach Dave Rice remarked. "It makes us extremely hard to guard."
Vince Bauer led La Verne (1-5) with 16 points and Jake Veith posted 11 for the Leopards, who were overmatched from the outset.
"Our number one goal coming into this game was we wanted to execute the things that we practiced and we did that," La Verne coach Rich Reed said. "But some of our shots just didn't fall for us."
UNLV got off to a quick start, scoring 13 straight points capped by three- pointers from Reinhardt and Anthony Marshall for a 15-2 lead. La Verne fought back with Veith's three-pointer, drawing the visitors within 18-12, but they couldn't get over the hump in the first half.
The Runnin' Rebels extended their advantage bucket-by-bucket, taking a 33-19 lead on Bennett's slam with just under five minutes remaining in the half. Easy baskets from Goodman and Bryce Dejean-Jones put UNLV firmly in front, 38-21, after 20 minutes.
Four straight points by Goodman made the score 54-32 and consecutive slams by Marshall and Bennett capped 13 straight points for a 60-32 advantage. Justin Hawkins' three-pointer with just over six minutes on the clock opened a 74-38 margin, and the rout was on from there.
The Leopards are a member of Division III, but will continue their brief two-game stint against Division I foes against Cal State Bakersfield ... This is the ninth meeting between the two programs, but the first since 1965 ... This was UNLV's first game since starting forward Mike Moser dislocated his elbow versus California ... Pittsburgh transfer Khem Birch is eligible to make his debut on Monday at Texas-El Paso.
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- UNLV hires Little Rock's Chris Beard as next coach Mar 28
- UNLV freshman Jones Jr. ineligible for rest of the season Mar 2
- UNLV loses freshman center Zimmerman to sprained left knee Feb 8
- UNLV dismisses guard Daquan Cook from team Feb 5
- UNLV gets back to business with interim coach Jan 11
- Rice resigns as UNLV's coach in middle of fifth season Jan 10
- Okonoboh asks for release from UNLV Nov 27