No. 13 Missouri holds off StanfordNov 23, 2012 - 5:26 AM Paradise Island, Bahamas (Sports Network) - Laurence Bowers scored 19 points and pulled down 11 rebounds to lead No. 13 Missouri to a 78-70 win over Stanford on Thursday in the Battle 4 Atlantis.
Phil Pressey had 18 points, eight assists and five rebounds and Earnest Ross had 10 points and 11 boards for the Tigers (4-0), who will face No. 2 Louisville in the semifinals on Friday.
Chasson Randle had a game-high 22 points and Dwight Powell had 18 points and 12 rebounds for the Cardinal (3-2), losers in two straight.
"I thought we went out and competed well. We could have executed a little bit better," Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins said. "I thought defensively, we could have been better as well."
Mizzou went up 28-16 with seven minutes left in the first half, but a 12-0 Stanford run knotted the game at 28-28 at the 3:51 mark.
Keion Bell's layup at the buzzer gave the Tigers a 37-34 lead at the break.
Ross' jump hook put Mizzou up 53-47, but the Cardinal was able to pull within 57-55 with 10 minutes left.
The Tigers opened up a 68-61 lead at the 5:39 mark, but Stanford fought back and pulled within 68-66 with just over three minutes to play. It would be as close as the Cardinal would get after Missouri outscored them 10-4 the rest of the way to hold on for the win.
"We made big shots down the stretch. Defense executed and had some big stops," Missouri coach Frank Haith said. "We aren't going to be fluid right now offensively, but that takes time."
This was the first-ever meeting between these two programs ... Stanford will face Northern Iowa in the consolation bracket.
- MISSOURI: 78
Nov 22 3:12 PM
- MISSOURI: 37
Nov 22 1:59 PM
- MISSOURI: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 1:11 PM
- Stanford's Rosco Allen declares for NBA draft Apr 1
- Stanford coach Jerod Haase once thought he'd play for school Mar 28
- Stanford hires Jerod Haase as new men's basketball coach Mar 25
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Stanford fires coach Johnny Dawkins after 8 seasons Mar 14
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Stanford suspends point guard Christian Sanders Mar 3
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Stanford F Reid Travis to miss remainder of season Feb 23
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19