Boynton, Gators drop Blue RaidersNov 19, 2012 - 6:03 AM Tampa, FL (Sports Network) - Kenny Boynton scored 20 points and the 10th- ranked Florida Gators used a big second half to take down the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders, 66-45, on Sunday.
Will Yeguete added 11 points and 13 rebounds for the Gators (3-0), who went 7- of-22 from beyond the arc and 17-of-27 from the foul line.
Marcos Knight had 12 points and five boards to pace the Blue Raiders (2-1), who started the season with wins over Alabama State and Savannah State. Shawn Jones donated 10 points in the loss.
"We knew what we were up against, and I was proud of our effort," Middle Tennessee coach Kermit Davis said.
Neither team led by more than six in a tight first half that saw Florida take a 29-26 edge into the locker room.
Holding a 32-28 lead with over 16 minutes to play, the Gators went on a 15-4 run to create some distance. Scottie Wilbekin tallied six points during the surge, including a pair of free throws to make it a 47-32 game with 10:14 remaining.
Middle Tennessee never got closer than nine the rest of the way.
Sunday's game marked the first meeting between Florida and Middle Tennessee ... The Gators shot 46.7 percent from the field.
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE: 45
Nov 18 6:10 PM
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE: 26
Nov 18 4:55 PM
- MIDDLE TENNESSEE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 4:09 PM
- Virginia Tech guard Jalen Hudson transfers to Florida May 16
- Florida guard Francis-Ramirez transferring after 2 seasons May 4
- Florida's Devin Robinson out 4-6 months after foot surgery Apr 21
- Florida guard Walker plans to transfer after graduation Mar 28
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Florida's Egbunu to have season-ending thumb surgery Mar 15
- Florida's Egbunu uncertain to play against UNF in NIT Mar 14
- Florida C Egbunu tears thumb ligament before SEC Tournament Mar 9
- Florida trying to rebuild NCAA resume at SEC Tournament Mar 7
- February freefall leaves Florida in need of Kentucky win Feb 29
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26