No. 14 Missouri cruises past Nicholls StateNov 17, 2012 - 5:41 AM Missouri Tigers took a 74-54 win over Nicholls State on Friday.
Earnest Ross had 16 points and five boards, Keion Bell added 13 points and seven rebounds while Laurence Bowers gave 12 points for the Tigers (3-0), who have won all of their games this season by double-digits.
"Give Nicholls State a lot of credit, they were very disciplined on the offensive end," said Missouri head coach Frank Haith. "It was sort of a long, dragging game, and I thought they brought the fight to us on the offensive end to start the game. Then in the beginning of the second half, we brought the fight to them."
Fred Hunter posted 22 points and five rebounds for the Colonels (0-2), who got 14 points and five boards from T.J. Carpenter in the loss.
Missouri built itself an 11-point lead after a 5-0 run capped by an Oriakhi jumper made it a 25-14 game with under five minutes to play in the first half.
Nicholls State, though, later scored seven straight to cut into the deficit before Negus Webster-Chan hit a 3-pointer for the final points of the frame, helping the Tigers take a 32-25 lead into the break.
In the second half, an Oriakhi dunk gave Missouri a 40-29 lead and kick- started a 13-1 run capped by two free throws from Bell that gave the Tigers a 51-30 advantage just over five minutes in.
The Colonels were unable to get the deficit below 14 the rest of the way.
Missouri plays at Stanford on Thursday ... The only other time these two teams met was on Dec. 1, 1998, with Missouri taking a home victory ... Missouri dominated on the boards, finishing with a 41-25 advantage.
- Missouri players Isabell, Wright decide to transfer Mar 15
- Anderson gets vote of confidence from athletic director Mar 9
- Missouri says F D'Angelo Allen plans to transfer Feb 29
- Missouri dismisses junior guard Wes Clark Feb 16
- Missouri's suspended players Gant, Woods in doubt vs Vandy Feb 9
- Banned Missouri booster says he meant no harm Jan 19
- Missouri admits NCAA hoops violations, vacates '13-14 season Jan 14
- Missouri at a glance Oct 29
- Missouri adds new faces, still picked to finish last in SEC Oct 29
- Turnovers cost Missouri in loss to Arkansas Feb 18
- No. 18 Arkansas plays host to Missouri Feb 18
- Kentucky tops Missouri Jan 30