No. 5 Michigan thumps Cleveland StateNov 14, 2012 - 7:23 AM Ann Arbor, MI (Sports Network) - Tim Hardaway Jr. tallied 17 points, six rebounds and four assists as No. 5 Michigan advanced to the semifinals of the Nit Season Tip-Off with a 77-47 rout over Cleveland State.
It was the Wolverines' (3-0) third consecutive win of at least 30 points to open the campaign.
"At Michigan, you come to win championships, and this is one of the most prestigious preseason tournaments," Michigan head coach John Beilein said.
Michigan, which came in shooting 25-of-40 from beyond the arc, made just 9- of-24 attempts Tuesday, but held a commanding 45-28 rebounding advantage.
Nik Stauskas netted 15 points, while Trey Burke added 12 points and seven helpers in the victory.
Anton Grady had 15 points to lead Cleveland State (2-1).
"I think there was some intimidation tonight coming into this building and playing Michigan. We really didn't play well in any facet of the game," Cleveland State head coach Gary Waters said.
Tim Kamczyc's 3-pointer cut the deficit to 19-12 for Cleveland State midway through the opening half, but the Wolverines closed the first 20 minutes on an elongated 23-2 surge.
Mitch McGary netted six points, while Burke added five during the run and a Hardaway triple with just under a minute to play in the stanza capped the swing and made it 42-14.
The Wolverines led by as many as 33 in the second frame.
Michigan leads the all-time series over Cleveland State, 9-0 ... These two schools haven't played one another since the 1997-98 ... The Wolverines were 30-of-59 from the floor.
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Michigan hires assistant hoops coaches Donlon and Washington May 4
- Michigan's Chatman receives release, plans to transfer May 3
- Michigan's Dawkins transferring to play for father at UCF Apr 6
- Michigan lifts transfer restrictions for Doyle, Albrecht Apr 1
- Doyle, Albrecht receive transfer releases from Michigan Mar 29
- Michigan-Notre Dame is still a great rivalry Mar 17
- Michigan's last-second shots set up First Four vs Tulsa Mar 16
- Tough finish for injured Michigan seniors LeVert, Albrecht Mar 2
- Michigan's Caris LeVert out for season because of ailing leg Mar 1
- Michigan's LeVert returns from leg injury against Purdue Feb 13
- LeVert sitting out again for Michigan against Maryland Jan 12