No. 16 Baylor drops St. John'sNov 19, 2012 - 2:03 AM Charleston, SC (Sports Network) - Brady Heslip nailed eight 3-pointers en route to a career-high 29 points and No. 16 Baylor pulled away late in its 97-78 win over St. John's in the third-place game of the Charleston Classic.
Cory Jefferson tallied 20 points and 13 rebounds, while Isaiah Austin added 13 points and 12 boards for the Bears (4-1), who bounced back from Friday's 60-58 loss to Colorado.
Pierre Jackson recorded 19 points and nine assists in the victory.
Phil Greene IV netted 26 points and D'Angelo Harrison had 20 to lead St. John's (2-2), which dropped a 72-67 decision to Murray State on Friday.
The contest was tied midway through the second half before Heslip's final two triples of the game highlighted a 7-0 Baylor spurt and put it up for good at 73-66.
The Red Storm countered with the next six points before the Bears recorded the ensuing seven points to stretch the advantage back to 80-72.
A bit later, Baylor used a 15-0 surge to establish its largest margin of 20.
Harrison buried three treys during a 19-6 Red Storm swing and St. John's took a 28-19 edge, but the Bears answered with a 15-0 run.
Heslip had seven points, including a four-point play, during the charge, which led to a 45-42 lead for the Bears heading into the break.
Baylor outrebounded St. John's 37-18 ... The Bears were 54 percent (30-of-55) from the floor, while the Red Storm finished 46 percent (30-of-64) from the field.
- BAYLOR: 97
ST. JOHN'S: 78
Nov 18 8:10 PM
- BAYLOR: 45
ST. JOHN'S: 42
Nov 18 6:56 PM
- BAYLOR: 0
ST. JOHN'S: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 18 6:12 PM
- King's heart: Baylor freshman playing with defibrillator Mar 15
- Snow sacks Marquette-St. John's basketball game Jan 23
- St. John's center Sima out 4-6 weeks with broken hand Jan 8
- St. John's freshman Kassoum Yakwe cleared to play by NCAA Nov 25
- NCAA reinstates St. John's guard Felix Balamou Nov 19
- St. John's Balamou sidelined indefinitely by NCAA Nov 13
- St. John's LoVett ruled a partial qualifier by NCAA Nov 11
- St. Thomas Aquinas beats St. John's 90-58 Nov 4
- Baylor hopes to be motivated by lasting NCAA tourney image Oct 28
- Baylor at a glance Oct 28
- St. John's about to start the "Mullin Era" Oct 21
- Richmond, St. Jean complete Mullin's staff Oct 6