No. 1 IU downs Georgetown in OT to claim Legends ClassicNov 21, 2012 - 7:58 AM Indiana Hoosiers won the Legends Classic with an 82-72 overtime win against Georgetown.
Yogi Ferrell posted 14 points while Victor Oladipo added 12 points for the Hoosiers (5-0), who took down Georgia in the semifinals on Monday to advance to the title game and have won all of their contests by double-digits.
"Our guys just went out and played a high-level team in a high-level way," Indiana head coach Tom Crean said.
Markel Starks scored 20 points and Otto Porter added 15, including the tying bucket in regulation, for the Hoyas (3-1), who defeated 11th-ranked UCLA on Monday in the semifinals of this tournament.
"We came here to win and we had our chances," Georgetown head coach John Thompson III said.
After blowing a seven-point lead late in regulation, Indiana took control of the overtime with the first six points, capped on a Hulls 3-point play for a 70-64 advantage with 3 1/2 minutes left.
Georgetown didn't get a single basket in overtime as all eight of its points came from the charity stripe while Ferrell's 3-pointer with just under a minute to play gave the Hoosiers a 78-68 lead to seal the win.
The first several minutes of the first half went back and forth until 3- pointers from Starks and Greg Whittington gave the Hoyas a 23-18 lead with 10 1/2 minutes left.
Christian Watford, though, tied the game with a 3-pointer and that started a 10-0 run from the Hoosiers that saw the team take a 33-26 lead on a Remy Abell triple with 4 1/2 minutes left.
Whittington and Jabril Trawick then hit long shots to make it a one-point game, but Zeller made 1-of-2 from the line and Will Sheehey got the final points of the half to give Indiana a 36-32 lead at the break.
The game stayed close through the first 15 minutes of the second half as neither team led by more than five, but Indiana got eight straight points to open a 59-51 advantage off of two Ferrell free throws with four minutes to play.
It was a seven-point game, 63-56, after Zeller hit two free throws, but Starks followed with a 3-pointer and, after Ferrell missed a free throw, Porter buried a shot from the top of the arc with 28.3 seconds to play.
Ferrell was fouled with 24.2 to play and made one of his two shots from the striped, but Porter charged the lane and kissed the ball off the glass to tie the game with 4.6 seconds to play and Indiana was unable to get a shot off before time expired.
Indiana has won two of the three games against Georgetown, but this was the first time the schools had met since 1979 ... Indiana shot 46.9 percent and grabbed 33 rebounds, while Georgetown made 44.1 percent of its shots and had 28 rebounds ... Watford posted 10 points and 10 rebounds in the win.
- INDIANA: 82
Final - OT
Nov 21 12:24 AM
- INDIANA: 64
End of Regulation
Nov 21 12:02 AM
- INDIANA: 36
Nov 20 10:51 PM
- INDIANA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 10:08 PM
- Blackmon Jr. declares for NBA draft without hiring agent Apr 25
- Indiana forward Troy Williams enters NBA draft, could return Apr 12
- Thomas Bryant to return for sophomore season at Indiana Apr 7
- Former Indiana Hoosiers star Archie Dees dies at age 80 Apr 4
- Sweet 16 loss to North Carolina ends Yogi years at Indiana Mar 26
- Heels vs. Hoosiers in Sweet 16: These teams shoot and score Mar 24
- Crean overcomes criticism to lead Hoosiers back to Sweet 16 Mar 23
- Hoosiers turnaround inspired by tougher, stouter defense Mar 23
- Indiana tops Kentucky 73-67 for Sweet 16 berth Mar 19
- Kentucky and Indiana square off for first time in 4 years Mar 18
- Indiana prepares for Chattanooga, No. 12 seed pressure Mar 16
- Ferrell says Indiana legacy incomplete without deep NCAA run Mar 14