Bruins bounce back, edge GeorgiaNov 21, 2012 - 7:25 AM UCLA Bruins take a 60-56 win over Georgia in the consolation game of the 2012 Legends Classic.
Playing his second straight game after serving a three-game suspension to start his freshman season, Muhammad shot 6-for-12 from the field and went 8- for-11 from the free-throw line while also grabbing four rebounds for the Bruins (4-1), who dropped their semifinal game to Georgetown on Monday.
"It was obviously an important win to bounce back after a disappointing defeat last night," UCLA head coach Ben Howland said.
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope scored 16 points and pulled down eight rebounds for the Bulldogs (1-4), who have dropped four straight after opening the season with a win over Jacksonville.
"We didn't make the plays in the heart of the game that we needed to make," Georgia head coach Mark Fox said.
The Bruins trailed by five to start the second half, but opened the frame with a 12-3 run and held a 37-33 advantage after Muhammad hit two free throws four minutes in.
Georgia later scored seven straight points with Caldwell-Pope getting the last five and his 3-ball giving the team a 42-40 advantage with 11 minutes left.
With the game tied at 49-all, Travis Wear gave UCLA the lead with a jumper and, after a Caldwell-Pope miss on a 3, Jordan Adams drained a bucket for a four-point lead with under four minutes to play.
Vincent Williams followed with a 3-pointer for Georgia, but the team failed to score for the next three minutes and UCLA put the contest away at the foul line.
Georgia held a 22-12 lead after Donte' Williams hit two free throws with eight minutes to play in the first half.
UCLA, though, scored the final six points of the frame, including a 3-pointer from Muhammad, to make it a 30-25 game at the break.
UCLA has won all three meetings against Georgia. The last time the two schools met was in 1993 ... UCLA shot 42.2 percent, while Georgia made 37.3 percent of its attempts ... UCLA next plays on Sunday at home against Cal Poly.
- UCLA: 60
Nov 20 9:28 PM
- UCLA: 25
Nov 20 8:17 PM
- UCLA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 20 7:35 PM
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28