No. 18 UNLV rebounds to down Iowa StateNov 25, 2012 - 5:11 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Anthony Bennett posted 22 points and seven rebounds as No. 18 UNLV earned an 82-70 win over Iowa State in the third-place game of the Global Sports Classic.
Anthony Marshall had 16 points and eight rebounds while Mike Moser added 15 points and 12 boards for the Rebels (3-1), who bounced back from Friday's loss to Oregon.
Will Clyburn had 21 points and 15 rebounds for the Cyclones (4-2), who have lost their past two after ripping off four wins to start the season. Tyrus McGee added 12 points off the bench, while Melvin Ejim gave 10 points and 11 boards in the loss.
The game stayed close through much of the contest until Bryce Dejean-Hones hit a 3-ball and Bennett followed with a dunk to give the Rebels some breathing room with a 49-43 lead.
A bit later, Percy Gibson hit a layup and McGee followed with a 3 to get Iowa State a point back with just under a minute to play, but Moser and Quintrell Thomas followed with baskets for UNLV.
McGee's consecutive 3-pointers sandwiched by a Moser 3-ball kept it at a five- point game with 4 1/2 minutes to play, but the Rebels followed with the next six points as Marshall capped the burst with two free throws for a 71-60 lead with just over three minutes left.
The Cyclones were unable to get closer than eight points back the rest of the way.
Iowa State held a 13-10 lead early in the game, but UNLV came storming back with eight straight points, capped on a layup from Savon Goodman for an 18-13 advantage with 12 minutes to play.
The Rebels stayed in front the rest of the half, but the Cyclones got the final four points of the frame to cut their deficit to 36-34 heading into the break.
UNLV shot 43.1 percent while holding Iowa State to just 33.3 percent shooting ... The Cyclones won the battle of the boards, 46-45 ... This was the first matchup between these two schools.
- IOWA STATE: 70
Nov 24 10:13 PM
- IOWA STATE: 34
Nov 24 8:55 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 24 8:07 PM
- Menzies adds 3 more to UNLV recruiting class May 19
- Malou heading to NBA draft without playing for Iowa St May 11
- Iowa State signs pair of transfer big men May 9
- UNLV's Menzies fills out staff with 3 hires May 5
- Iowa State guard Naz Mitrou-Long granted hardship waiver Apr 29
- Iowa State recruit Malou to explore professional options Apr 25
- UNLV approves $3.75 million contract for Marvin Menzies Apr 22
- UNLV hires Menzies as basketball coach after Beard bolts Apr 17
- Ex-Iowa State athlete sues school over response to rape case Apr 13
- Iowa State signs prep forward Cameron Lard Apr 13
- UNLV introduces Chris Beard as Runnin' Rebels coach Apr 8
- Iowa St point guard Monte Morris to return for senior season Apr 8