No. 4 Arizona beats Hurricanes to reach title game in HawaiiDec 24, 2012 - 7:13 AM Honolulu, HI (Sports Network) - Mark Lyons had 19 points, Nick Johnson scored 12 and the fourth-ranked Arizona Wildcats beat the Miami-Florida Hurricanes, 69-50, in the semifinals of the Diamond Head Classic.
Kevin Parrom contributed 11 points and eight rebounds for the Wildcats (11-0), who will battle No. 18 San Diego State for the tournament's championship on Christmas Day.
Kaleb Tarczewski finished with 13 rebounds and eight points in the 200th win of Arizona coach Sean Miller's career.
The Hurricanes (8-2) were led by Kenny Kadji's 19-point effort. Durand Scott chipped in 15 points, but committed five of Miami's nine turnovers.
Shane Larkin added 10 points and six steals for Miami, which had won seven straight games.
The Hurricanes kept pace with Arizona through much of the first half and trailed 21-19 after Kadji hit a jumper with 6:04 remaining.
Arizona, though, closed the frame on a 16-6 run and its lead swelled to 56-37 when Lyons drained a 3-pointer midway through the second half.
Miami's poor shooting hindered its ability to get back in the game. The Hurricanes, who fell behind by as many as 26, shot 33.3 percent (9-of-27) after halftime.
The Wildcats made 8-of-18 3-pointers and held a 46-20 rebounding edge ... The schools met for the third time and first since Dec. 19, 1989.
- ARIZONA: 69
Dec 24 1:27 AM
- ARIZONA: 37
Dec 24 12:18 AM
- ARIZONA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Dec 23 11:35 PM
- Pitts transferring from Arizona May 17
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Arizona guard Allonzo Trier returning for sophomore season Apr 4
- Arizona's Justin Simon transferring after 1 season Mar 28
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Arizona falters against Wichita State, loses 65-55 Mar 18
- Wichita State ready to keep rolling, faces Arizona Mar 16
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16